Getting back on the wagon

rayjack12
on 6/26/11 8:46 am
Ok...so not that I really fell off...but...

I was out of town this week end and found out how difficult it is to stick to the plan when you're out of town.  I tried to get in protein when I could but it was very difficult.  I also didn't get nearly the amount of water in that I needed.  Bottom line...I ate a lot of carbs and junk!  I'm paying for it today...I feel like crap.

I guess my question is...since I found it very easy to eat whatever this weekend (not amount wise but content wise)...how does one control themselves?  I am so afraid that once I can eat normal portions again that it will be so hard to resist.  Does going back on liquids for a few days help?  Has anyone ever tried that?
Mary Catherine
on 6/26/11 12:46 pm
 Some people say that going to all liquids for a few days helps them.  It would make me feel deprived.  I have to plan my eating, track what I eat and keep away from the sweets or I pay the price of gaining weight back.  I can eat anything I want without getting sick. I do not feel as good when I eat junk and I really don't feel good if the scale goes up.

What weight loss surgery did for me is let me get rid of the weight and start out on a level playing field with people who are not obese. I have to watch what comes into the house, and fight the urge to tell myself that one bite won't hurt and it won't count if nobody sees me eating it.

If I screw up on eating, I just go back to eating healthy.  I don't punish myself with skipping meals or going on liquid or other crash diets.  

It is hard, but not hard like it was before surgery.  I can eat 2 ounces of dense protein and stay full for hours.  I could not do that before surgery.  Not being hungry ever again has been wonderful.
dasie
on 6/26/11 8:50 pm
When did you have surgery?  What you said is so true.  It is so different in mainttenance, and I wish there were more veterans *****gularly posted on the board so I could continue to learn from them.  I rarely see anyone who had surgery around the time I did. 

dasie
on 6/26/11 8:46 pm
My step-mother passed away in January.  That was around my 14 month post op mark.  Because my husband is her executor, we have been out-of-town on a routine basis since that time.  As a result, I too got off plan.  It was easier grabbing junk food, or medicating myself I guess, because we are on the road so much.  Also we are updating her home to sel,l and the kitchen is not really usable...so keeping junk food became easier.  That marked the beginning of what  was the first time I became non-compliant, and I absolutely feel I squandered the last remaining months of the benefits I had from my tool.  For the last couple months I have had to retrain myself, and the easy weight loss has ended.

I have returned to measuring my food, getting regular exercise and eating on plan.  Eight weeks ago, or so,  after being away I knew I had gained weight.  The minute I returned home I went to the scale and weighed, and sure enough I had GAINED SIX POUNDS.  That freaked, freaked me out.  HOW EASYILY COULD THAT HAVE HAPPENED????  I know this is a lifelong commitment, and standing on the scale gave me A HUGE WAKE-UP CALL.  So just like the first 14 months when I was so successful, I take it one day at a time, make proper choices, exercise or make every attempt to exercise and remind myself for me personally I must have healthy eating habits, and only I can do this for myself.

JA
on 6/26/11 9:53 pm - East Haven, CT
Falling off is very normal.  The trick is to get everything out of your house that is not good for you, ie carbs/sugar, etc.  I cut up little pieces of chicken and snack on that instead of grabbing junk.  Good luck!
JA
-91 lbs (Lap RNY 7/21/2004)
Cheryl W.
on 6/28/11 11:19 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
 Darleen, I know exactly what you mean.  Since moving everything has been pretty unsettled and I feel like I'm on the road, having no routine, not drinking enough water etc.

I'm also alternating feeling HUNGRY, and then kinda sick.  Nothing in between.  I'm thinking of going liquid for a few days just to settle things down and get back to basics.

Cheryl

HW:  258  SW:  237 CW:  152      
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1454 views