Will I ever reach my goal weight?

mollypitcher08
on 7/13/11 5:14 am
Hello to fellow WLS:  Here is my story: I had RNY surgery just about 3 years ago next month.  I have lost 200+ # and am extremely grateful that I had the surgery and that I can do so many many things I could not prior to surgery.  However, I seem to be suffering from "body metomorphosis envy" (newly thought up WLS side effect!!) I find myself comparing myself to others who have had the same type of surgery as me and who (IMO) look ever so much thinner, toned, successful, I could go on & on.  This has been building up in me for awhile now.
I find myself dissatisfied, frustrated, maybe even a bit angry/disappointed in myself and my body.
Does anyone out there find themselves having these same types of feelings?
I mean for example at work:  I have 3 other woman who all have had the same surgery as me.  I work in a fairly small place.  Granted none of these woman were as large as I was to start out, but darn it they all look great and I am struggling at 243# with (IMO at least another 100# to get anywhere near a normal weight for my height.  I know I've come a long way but is a goal of say 140#  even do-able?  I do have alot of excess skin and a huge apron which inhibits me but I know that PS for me is not an option as yet.  Perhaps the apron may be covered under insurance but all the rest, doubtful and I can't afford it anyway.
 Please know, I do thank God I can walk, do yard work, fit in a booth, go places, and basically live a normal life.. Is it wrong to want more??   I do exercise but truthfully.. I am not in any type of program (my apron flaps so it almost hurts at times and I am considering water exercises at my local Y, just getting up the courage is still difficult for me because of how I look. 
  Thank you all for listening to my vent... I hope I can resolve my head issues and  maybe reach my goal.   Do you all think it is do-able even after  3 years??
MarilynT
on 7/13/11 5:40 am
I would say that you absolutely should be able to lose more weight. Whether or not you can ever make it to the 140's, I cannot say.

You  need to go back to the basic rules of "bariatric eating": protein first, followed by whole grains/fruits/veg and healthy fats. No white carbs (white bread, white rice, crackers, etc.). Cut out alcohol for the time being. Exercise as your body allows. If you do these things and STILL you are not losing, then you will need to go to a site like sparkpeople to track your intake and make sure you are not taking in too many calories.

If your apron is inhibiting your ability to exercise, it may be worth investigating whether your insurance will pay for it's removal. From what I understand the surgery is not TOO awful. And if it improves your quality of life and ability to be active it just may be worth it.

Good luck.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

mollypitcher08
on 7/13/11 5:51 am
Thanks for your reply and your good advice.  I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else? or maybe just a good swift kick in the butt?  I am making an appt. with my bariatric center to be seen and maybe then get a referral to a PS to see about the apron factor.  I do feel my apron plays a big part in how I perceive myself and perhaps even others, who knows?
Yes, too , to your advice on going back to basics.  I truly have not been as diligent in that realm as I can be so it's back to writing things down for me and also more water!!
I will let you know if it starts working for me.  Thanks again for the advice! Even us old timers need it every now and then, me for sure!
kbowman2
on 7/13/11 9:43 am
Molly,
Good for you for airing out your feelings.  I understand totally.  Although I am only a year and change out I can understand all your feelings about goal weight and comparing yourself to others.  I also am with you 100% on the plastic surgery front.
How is it that we lose all this weight and STILL are not happy with the image in the mirror?  Maybe we both need counseling, plastics or both!  LOL
I would love to talk to you one on one.  If you get a chance, friend me.  In the meantime, keep your head up.  Count the blessings you have and try and forget that magic goal number...not that it can't happen but try and be happy with the number you are and where you came from.  Good luck and keep smiling.

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

mollypitcher08
on 7/13/11 12:44 pm
Hi Kim! Hey thanks for at least trying to understand my very complicated/probably very psychotic feelings! There are days when I see my other friends at work who had WLS and are still losing that I want to just smash them all & of course can't without being arrested! LOL!
 Seriously, I never had to worry about body envy because I have been mostly so morbidly obese my whole life that I only knew fatness in itself nothing else.  So now, when I am starting to actually feel bones beneath fle****hink  I am impatient with why I can't be model thin like the others - it;s hard to  really express and just something I have to deal with along my WL journey.
 I am grateful for what I do have and thank God every day that I wake up alive and well.
 Thanks for responding and listening- I think (at least with me anyway ) that every once in a while I lose myself and any self confidence I have gained along this journey gets a bit shaky at times.
 Your reassurance has helped me once again get "back in the saddle"! Thanks so much and I will keep on smiling and you do the same.  I will  friend you also.   Mary
Most Active