Lap Band to Roux en Y- surgery 07/25/11 !!!

Markjason11
on 7/14/11 6:55 am - MD
Hello All-

Pardon the post being that Im a newbie, Ive lurked forever but just joined now- but I had a band done in NY in 2005 and as Ive read it - the same story- for whatever reason, over the past six years, I gained it alllll back- and then some.  Fast forward to 2010- I started the process of having my band taken out and agreed to do a bypass with a great team at University of Maryland- so- you might ask- why are you bugging us ??? Well...... I have fought so long and hard this past year and a half to get the surgery approved and scheduled and now that its just 11 days away I find that I am TERRIFIED !!! I mean- I had the band surgery so its not like this will be totally foreign to me but..... Im still excited, but also terrified- Anyway- I wont go on too long- just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself- I imagine Ill be around here a lot- Ill keep everyone posted and I am looking forward to continuing to read about everyone else's experiences- This website really is AWESOME 
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 7:50 am - San Jose, CA
If you are terrified by the thought of trying to live with all of the issues caused by the RNY - including substantial risk of regain, especially as a revision - and you HAVEN'T thoroughly investigated the DS as a revision surgery, then you really should do it RIGHT NOW.

I almost walked away from this site and bariatric surgery as an option 8+ years ago, when all I saw was Lapband and RNY and the misery many people experience, both in the beginning AND further out - and then someone pointed me to information about the DS, and it was like the music swelled, the lights brightened, and I realized that THIS was a surgery that made medical and scientific sense, and would WORK for me, and I could LIVE with.

After that, I was NOT scared at all.

It is not too late to change your mind about which surgery you are going to have - and have to live with for the rest of your life - until they knock you out on the OR table.  MANY people have changed their minds at the last minute.  Just ask over on the DS forum.
Charlene B.
on 7/15/11 10:34 pm - PA
hi,
I had the lapband for 3 years. The first 1 it worked well for me then after that I had issues for 2 year. I had my band removed on 03/03/2011 to bypass and I am doing good. I have had no issues with it as of now. I am down 46 lb since surgery with a starting weight of 213. My doctor does not do the DS surgery and I really like my DR and did not want to change.  I thought about the Sleeve but my doctor did tell me he would go with bypass over the sleeve. So I listen to him this time. I wish you the best .and keep you in my prayers.   
Most Active