Insurance Issues

JJ_RN
on 7/17/11 10:09 am
Hello All,
I currently living in Wisconsin and have Network Health Insurance and their wonderful policy is to deny any procedure that has to do with weight loss surgery, they wouldn't even let me go see a dietician. I was planning to pay for WLS out-of-pocket, but the hospital where my surgeon is kepts raising the price starting at $14,000 to $30,000 for a RNY. I am a graduate student studying for my masters in nursing- so I am fairly familiar with the games hospitals and health insurances will play with their customers. My questions is-

I have started to look into buying supplemental insurance because I am not currently paying any premiums under the plan I am under (family plan). Does anyone know of what insurance companies in Wisconsin pay for any type of WLS?? I am looking at Anthem BCBS, but am confused on the whole thing.

Thanks Much!
Jack_Fabulous
on 7/17/11 12:40 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
 This is my worst fear
MsBatt
on 7/17/11 12:58 pm
Hello, Jack! I just read your profile, and I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the OP in this thread---research the DS. This is especially important since you're diabetic.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/

www.dsfacts.com
MsBatt
on 7/17/11 12:54 pm
One caution---many times, secondary/supplemental insurance won't cover anything your primary insurance doesn't. Sucks, I know. Now, about your primary insurance---EXACTLY what does it say about weight loss? Many times polices exclude anything related to the treatment of obesity, but DO cover the treatment of MORBID obesity. Have you actually called and talked to someone at your insurance company?

Another thing to think about is going outside the US for WLS. It's generally MUCH cheaper, and if you do adequate research, you can find care equa to or better than what you'll get here in the US.

Your BMI is 65---you REALLY need to be researching the DS rather than the RNY.  The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained wqeight loss, ESPECIALLY for those of us with a starting BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. Last time I heard, you could get a DS in Brazil for around $16K, everything included---even air fare and a two-week stay in a medical hostel.
Most Active