Bowel Movements Post WLS (?)

Keldriv
on 7/20/11 11:50 am - Fair Play, SC
Has anyone else noticed a change. It seems that b4 my surgery I would go only once a day. Now depending on if I am loseing I can go 4 to 5 times a day. Is this normal?
                                   Married Mother of 3 Likeing the New Me!!
Highest Weight 384, Pre-surgery weight 313, Current Weight @144, Goal Weight 150, Ideal Weight
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
"Be not anxious for what you shall eat, or what you shall drink ... or what you shall wear ... Isn't life more than food? ... and the body more than clothing?"~ Luke 12:22; 29
Kelly    
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 1:34 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Well, believe me, it's SOOOOO much better than being constipated!! 

If this continues for more than a day or two, consult your surgeon;  you might also make sure
that you're staying hydrated as multiple bowel movements will definitely remove the water from
your system.

The only time I've heard of multiple bm's post-op it has been because of a problem such as
c. Difficile, which is NOT something I'd want to have. 

Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 10:06 pm
 I dont think its an issue especially   if Ure eating healthy  fiber  filled summer salads and  vegetable - stuffed  dishes as U SHOULD be .

Ure probably getting way more fiber than U did before  surgery .   Personally  Id much rather have it this  way than  the reverse ...  also because its a lot harde to  lose/ maintain when u  are chronically obstructed .  
Dave Chambers
on 7/20/11 11:07 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You likely feel more normal than those who have post op constipation. This issue can be painful, as I note my wife having this issue 4 years post op from a RNY revision from a 1980 gastric surgery.  I would "bet the farm" that post op patients with constipation would give anything to have your "issue". DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/11 8:46 am
with RNY 4-5 times a day may not be not normal.
That may indicate some food intolerance.  How is the BM? soft yet formed - that will be good as long as you eat lost of fiber.
But loose stools - indicated problems. You may be losing - not absorbing a lot of proteins, minerals and vitamins.  Everything in moderation. Even BM.
The question also is what is the food transition time through your bowels.
How long it take for the food to travel. ideal shall be 24-36 hrs. That is enough time to absorb what you can absorb and get rid of "leftovers". If you transitions time is 12 hrs or less - that is not too good.  If that  continues - you may be facing severe malabsorbtion issues - minerals, vitamins, proteins.
You can test "transition time" by eating some food with a lots a color. I.e. beets. But you will need to stay away from beets or any red colored food at least 36 hrs before and 36 hrs later. 
Once you see that color in BM - you can estimate the transition time. 

My friend developed Crones.  Her transition time was 10-12 hrs. The doc put her on meds to slow down the intestine movement. She still goes often, but the food stays in here for 24 hrs at times, allowing her to absorb vitamins, minerals, etc.    Talk to your doc. Can be nothing - can be really something you may need to work with or around it.. (i.e. you may need to take liquid vitamins to be able to absorb any, increase protein intake, take extra vitamins  - more than other people are taking... etc)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active