Milk alternatives - worried about being male, soy products, man-boobs

ruggie
on 7/23/11 2:38 pm - Sacramento, CA
I forget the exact page, but I was reading (probably in the VSG forum) someone speaking about switching from cow milk to something else to make shakes with occasionally, since there's 12 g of carbs per cup of milk, and she was worried carbs were pumping up cravings.  A few people recommended either almond milk or soy milk.

So I went "thusly" to the grocery store, and found almond, soy, rice, hemp, and oat milks.  (Eeww.) 

The almond milk was kinda ok... less calories, less carbs with 7 or 8 g per cup, compared to milk, but a big protein hit with only 1 g per cup, when milk has 8 g!

The soy milks were interesting... they all differed a little in their nutritional mixtures, but I found one company of soy milk that only had 5 g of carbs and 13 g of protein!  I was excited!  But then confused, because I've received conflicting information about soy.

So I'm a guy.  And I know that soy has phytoestrogen that mimics human estrogen.  And I've heard the soy - manboob stories.  As an overweight male, I kinda already have a bit of a man-boob issue already, and really don't want to make it worse.  I also worry because, while in the "ok" zone, my testosterone is currently below average.

My surgeon's nutrionist says soy is ok.  The horror stories are mainly from overseas, they eat different kinds of soy, and MUCH more of it.  Also, how much soy can I eat now with my tiny little VSG stomach?  Everything in moderation, go have some tofu if you like.  This nutrionist I speak to often.

The other nutrionist is the one associated with the hospital where I had my surgery.  She stated the opposite.  Really don't recommend any, if at all, soy products for bariatric males; their testosterone is already depressed, and they shouldn't be eating estrogen-like compounds, stay away from soy, ye portly male (she didn't actually say "ye portly male", but I thought it was a nice embellishment).

So what do you all think about being male and eating soy products and being exposed to phytoestrogen?  For the record, I trust my surgeon's nutritionist much, much more.  Is a cup a day of soy milk and 2 oz of tofu below the "man-boob" risk threshold?

Thanks for any suggestions and feedback.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 2:47 pm
You will probably need a boob job (male breast reduction) after your weight loss, so don't worry about the soy:-)
ruggie
on 7/23/11 2:54 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'd much rather worry about soy than pulling a few grand out of my pocket for that plastic surgery, ugh.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 3:08 pm - TX
If it's for a shake use water and some bannana.

For instance I used to use Met-RX and when made with milk it was too heavy. So I would use a whole bananna, ice, and water to make it and they turned out perfect every time without tasting watery.

If it's just a base for your shakes you are worried about it's hard to bea****er.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 7/23/11 8:55 pm
 no idea about the boobage but if protein is the only problem, just add some to your almond milk: that is what protein powders are for!

I love almond milk and have never gone back to soy just cos of the taste.

and LOL@ ye portly male.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

jengo1971
on 7/23/11 9:31 pm
You're right to be leery of soy.  Almond milk is great!  The key is "unsweetened", either vanilla or plain.  Only one carb per cup (or zero depending on which brand you buy).  Personally I drink it for the calcium benefits mixed with diet hot chocolate.  Yum!  Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
ohwegoblues
on 7/23/11 10:40 pm - NY
  I use So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage (Unsweetened)  Only 50 calories per cup, 1 carb, no sugars.  I don't use milk for protein. This is great mixed WITH protein powder for a shake...you get just a hint of coconut flavor.
  I find it at Wegmans and it costs just as much as regular milk. They have it in the dairy or you can find the smaller non dairy containers that do not have to be refrigerated.
  Marcy
michellemj
on 7/24/11 12:31 am
I use unsweetened almond milk for shakes. Carbs are 1g, I think? and yes, you do take a hit on the protein, but given that you are mixing it for a shake, it isn't that big of a deal. Once you get a bit further out, getting that 80-100g of protein isn't too hard.

I still do a daily protein shake for breakfast, even 9mo. out, simply because 1) I like it. 2) it's easy 3) I hate breakfast and I don't think about food in the AM. and it's a great way to start out the day with 25g of protein. (oh, that would be 4.) :) and if you have lactose issues, almond milk is a great alternative.

I can't comment on the man boobs, but I do eat a ton of tofu/soy products anyways and I do enjoy soy milk, but I'm not willing to deal with the carbs.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 12:38 am - Woodbridge, VA
You must not have gotten the "unsweetened" almond milk, as that only has 1-2g total carbs per cup. I use that all the time. I don't love it to drink by itself, but I use it mostly in protein shakes and in some recipes. I've also tried unsweetened coconut milk - didn't personally like it much, but lots of people do, so something else to try. Are you looking for something to drink just as a straight glass of milk, or primarily in protein shakes?

If I can't find the unsweetened almond milk for shakes, then I also have used heavy whipping cream watered down (if you're looking to ditch skim milk because of carbs, then it sounds like you're probably eating pretty low in carbs, and, if so, fat is NOT bad for you).

I hate soy milk - just plain think it's gross. Also, even though I'm female, I'm cutting out soy because I'm trying to get pregnant, and I don't want to risk any potential soy hormonal issues during pregnancy.
Dave Chambers
on 7/24/11 1:02 am - Mira Loma, CA
I made 99% of my protein shakes with water.  Blend in 1/3 small banana for a thicker consistency.  I liked using an unflavored whey isolate protein to create my own shakes. OR, I often added this same protein to oatmeal, SF pudding, and other soft foods. I still add this same protein to foods almost daily today.  If you can't afford surgery, then a compression shirt may be your answer to your worry.  The chest issue is less noticeable if you wear a shirt that is not "form fitting", ie, a little loose on your body.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active