Drain Pain

Brazilnut2
on 8/21/11 6:45 am - TN
Tomorrow I get my staples and drain out.

Since day one after surgery, I've had a sharp pain in my left side just under my ribcage, as if a foreign object got left behind by the sugeon. The nurse practioner who will be removing the drain tomorrow, explained that this pain is most certainly the drainage tube which is looped around that port hole--the largest port used during surgery. So, tomorrow should be a relief. She said removal alleviates the pain almost immediately in other patients she's had.

Has anyone else experienced pain or problems with thei internal drainage tubes, post op?
Lisarn1
on 8/21/11 7:52 am - Raleigh, NC
Yep, the drain was the most painful part. They removed it before I discharged from the hospital, and it was so much better when they did.  

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Brazilnut2
on 8/21/11 9:07 am - TN
I'm not glad you had that pain but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this experience. I've had my drain in for almost two weeks and it just gets more painful each day. This wasn't anything I'd been warned about. My hubby had RNY in 2008 and didn't have drain pain.
mdolan20
on 8/21/11 9:57 am - Brick, NJ
agreed...drain is the worst part and it gets much better from there!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Lisarn1
on 8/22/11 2:21 am - Raleigh, NC
Big Hello from a former Freeholdian!! My son is still in Jackson.

Definately MUCH better without the drain!!!

Brazilnut2
on 8/22/11 10:56 am - TN
UPDATE: I got my staples and my drain out today. Blessed relief!!! My left side remains sore but not painful. I'm certain the soreness is from that port being the one that was most aggressively messed with during surgery.

If anyone reads this who is having anxiety about drainage tube removal, I promise: I did NOT feel a thing. The nurse *****moved it had me inhale deeply, then exhale as she pulled it out. Very well done!

Without the drain and staples, I feel like a free woman! Woohoo!
Lisarn1
on 8/22/11 8:31 pm - Raleigh, NC
I'm glad that you're feeling better. The left side will be sore fore a little while, but it does improve. 

Brazilnut2
on 8/23/11 1:54 pm - TN
Lisa, thank you for letting me know about that. My left side has been extremely sore today. How long did it take for your soreness to subside after your drain came out?
Most Active