XP: OT: Short Notice Move to Maryland

nightbird
on 8/20/11 12:21 pm - Bowie, MD
 My husband found out yesterday that his work wants him to move to Maryland to Ft. Meade.  They want us there in a month but we are pushing for at least two months to ten weeks.  We are thinking of the Bowie area since I will probably find something in DC.  Frantically trying to get the house in sell condition.  We just finished our basement last week so all of the other rooms are packed with everything from the basement.  

Any advice on Dr.'s in the Bowie area for general practioner and bariatric would be great.  We have Tricare since my husband is retired military.  Also, if anyone knows of a good kennel in the area that would be wonderful!  I don't think we could close on a in that short of a time and I have two German shepherds.  We found a real estate agent there....just not one here yet.  

Thank you for your help!

Lisa
Amy Smith
on 8/20/11 1:22 pm
Unfortunately, I do not know about physicians in the area.  I don't know how far you would be from John Hopkins, but I know they have a great bariatric program.  I would recommend my surgeon but I am in North East, MD so I went to Delaware. 

As for the kennel, I might be able to put you in contact with a local kennel club who would have some recommendations.  I show Goldens and travel through out the tri-state area.  I will message you with some contacts!

Wow!  You have quite a lot on your plate!  One day at a time and it will all get done and work out!
nightbird
on 8/21/11 1:22 am - Bowie, MD
 Thank you Amy.  I appreciate your help.  Have a great day.

Lisa
Boxer Heather
on 8/20/11 3:04 pm - Grasonville, MD
Lisa,

Most of the Bariatric surgeons closest to Bowie are in the Baltimore area.  Personally, I would recommend any of the surgeons at Johns Hopkins.  Michael Schweitzer is my surgeon. 

On the kennel front, I've been using Dogwood Acres Pet Resort in Davidsonville, MD for my boxers for the past 10 years.  They are a little pricey but well worth it.  Once you get into the area, schedule a visit to their facilities for a tour.  I think you'll be impressed.  Davidsonville is very close to Bowie.

Good Luck!
Heather

boxerlickinggirl.gif boxer licking girl image by boxerheath               

nightbird
on 8/21/11 1:24 am - Bowie, MD
 Thank you Heather.  I will check  them out.  Trying now to find a place I can ship them too so we can put the house up for sale.  Hard to have anyone through with two large German shepherds in the house.   I will see if Dr. Schweitzer takes Tricare.  Have a great day.

v/r

Lisa Laviguer
Amy Smith
on 8/21/11 1:52 am
Just an idea, look on line for a German Shepherd Rescue.  They may be willing to house the dogs in a foster home until you get here.  I am only familar with Golden Rescues, but I am sure there are a few German Sheperd rescues.
(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 2:04 am
I would consider renting first.  There are lots of areas to consider as far as purchasing goes and you would be well advised to take your time with a purchase.  Get into the area, find your job and then research into what is available that appeals to you.  In Md. closing costs are high and you won't want to do them twice.  Also the rescue group foster plan sounds like a real winner.  It would put your dogs into a home that likes your breed of dogs as opposed to a kennel that is going to (out of necessity) have to house them in a less desirable situation.  Although the move is coming fast you can take it slow. 
nightbird
on 8/21/11 6:18 am - Bowie, MD
 Thank you Alice.  Since the government is moving us for my husband's job, they are paying the closing costs and we want to take advantage of that perk so we are looking for a house.  Plus I heard how bad the rental market is there from some of the military I worked with who tried and tried for rentals.  Thank you and have a great Sunday.

Lisa
mrskreuter
on 8/21/11 1:25 pm
RNY on 02/24/11 with
Dear Lisa,
Welcome to Md. I live about 45 min from Bowie in Mechanicsville, Md. I have Tri care prime my husband is retired Navy. My Doctor is in woodbridge Va. his name is Dr Denis Halmi and he is with Blue point surgical group and has an outstanding reputation. I wish you a smooth and safe journey to Md. welcome and please drop a note if you need any more help.
Debbie

nightbird
on 8/22/11 2:33 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you Debbie.  I appreciate your help.  I keep forgetting the states are so close on the East Coast and that I could see a Dr. in Virginia...many hours to get to a different state here.  Have a great evening.

Lisa
Most Active