fun foods

Gloria-Caryl
on 8/22/11 1:55 pm
 When will if ever can I taste a cheeseburger or a bean burro? Can we ever have a coke? I am two weeks post-op. If I eat a lemon will it hurt my new stomach?
brooknj
on 8/22/11 2:03 pm - Sicklerville, NJ
I don't know about a lemon... maybe not. You will have a cheeseburger again, but maybe not for a few months about 6. And even then you'll only have a few bites.  Bean burro might be sooner... that's a lot of protein you should be able to make that for yourself in a few weeks.

I'm Approved and my date is 8/19... Life is good. Now the real challenge starts.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/22/11 2:11 pm
Which surgery did you get? Band? VSG? RNY? Or DS? What you should and can eat afterwards differs depending on the surgery.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Janice B.
on 8/22/11 5:25 pm - Misawa-chi, Japan

The operative (no pun intended) words here are "ever" and "two-weeks".  At this point, I would be sticking like glue to the instructions given for whatever surgery I had.  Let your stomach heal and give yourself an opportunity to practice doing without what SOUNDS like it would TASTE good.  Be careful of deciding what to eat based solely on what you are longing to taste.

Three and a half years out, I will have some bites of a cheeseburger, but they really don't agree with me so that is rare ... and then I take off half the bun and eat it like an open faced sandwich.  Beans should be do-able much sooner, but the tortilla .... ask the doc about that part: it would require lotsa chewing. 

Coke.  Um, what are your instructions?  If you are talking the sugar kind, you may want to figure out where to get the caffeine buzz somewhere else since getting empty calories out of our regular diet is generally part of our goal with wls.  The carbonation is addicting as well.  My surgeon said "never again" with sodas at all.  I waited a year and then had a Diet Coke.  I love the carbonation feel and generally get it from carbonated flavored water, but I do drink Diet Coke regularly, informed my surgeon so he can make sure I am not hurting myself, and all systems are go.  Thank goodness!

It's late and I rambled, but hope this was helpful.

Janice

Life is too short to eat vanilla ice cream and dance with boring men.

HW: 305/SW: 289/CW: 129

MyLady Heidi
on 8/22/11 9:32 pm

If you want to know if you will ever been somewhat normal again the answer is yes, there may be things that you specifically cannot eat that others can, you have to figure it all out along the way.  I eat lemons everyday with no harm to my stomach but I am going on 7 years out so there is a huge difference.  Don't try to rush food, just eat according to the surgeons plan and watch the magic happen.  I am positive you, like me and everyone else, ate enough cheeseburgers and pizza and whatever to sustain us for quite a while to go without and just drink protein drinks and eat soft foods.  Yes it will get better, easier, more like normal, just not quite yet.

Gloria-Caryl
on 8/23/11 10:10 am
   I had t he RNY. I just ate a lemon and I don't think my pouch liked it,  burped up acid, so I better wait a little longer for that. I see my Dr. in a week and hope I can have some better tasting food!!!!
Most Active