Does the Patient Fail the Procedure...?

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/1/11 8:56 pm
On September 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM Pacific Time, Linda_S wrote:
I'm sorry you're pissed off, but the fact of the matter is, food is the thing in your life that caused your weight problem, whether or not you were stuffing your face.  I think most people *****sort to WLS are those who have yo-yo dieted enough that their metabolism shuts down and they are no longer able to use the weight, even on low calorie counts.  So, while we may not have been stuffing our faces, it was our relationship with food (just like it would have been with crack or alcohol) that brought us to the last straw.  Sure, being addicted to food doesn't necessarily cause you to lie and steal, although I'm sure there are a lot of closet eaters out there who only eat to really satisfy themselves when they are alone.  I don't need to visit the DS board to know many people who had the same metabolism problems.  And remember, I didn't say YOU were a food addict, so if you don't claim the title, you can just walk away.
 Hey LInda

good post!   I know I have been addicted to eating behaviors and I don't need to be ashamed of it.  but w hen others say they are addicted to simple carbs (or whatever) I don't feel the need to argue about it.

*assume I have a cute animal to insert here*

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Linda_S
on 9/2/11 12:39 am - Eugene, OR
 Thanks Jackie!  I think someone here is in big time denial. 

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/2/11 10:29 am
 I just love it when people show up & disagree and it isn't always "why am I in a stall" and that crap. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

size 8, life is great

Bronwen
on 9/2/11 1:49 am - Wilmington, DE
You haven't been addicted to a behavior.  Your behavior may have been disordered or dysfunctional. I think using the term "addiction" when it truly isn't applicable is dangerous: i****ers down the power of that term and confuses the general public as to what truly constitutes an addiction.  It puts those with minor behavioral problems on the same par as those who are truly ill physically and, quite possibly, mentally.  It almost excuses bad behavior because it's the language of clinical diagnosis.  It's like equating nervousness with a panic attack, or being depressed with clinical depression.

The thread's about surgery failure, right?  I contend that since you can't be addicted to food, people that say they were addicted to it were really addicted to their behaviors around food.  By saying that these people failed solely because they didn't change their behavior, we are simply parroting the well-meaning but useless old chestnuts of "just eat less and exercise!"

Respectfully,

hmmmm-i-disagrees-with-your-theories.jpg
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Socially Awkward Penguin lolz!
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/2/11 10:27 am
 is it just me, or has the MB been more interesting lately?  not sure why....

size 8, life is great

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/2/11 10:41 am
 I tried to edit my post to be a little serious but the chromebook would not let me so I'm back to say, I really believe I am addicted to a behavior.

I've had Binge Eating disorder for decades now and you do something that long it changes your brain. to say it's not physical is wrong, it is, I have no doubt of this because experiece changes your brain and it doesn't get more physical than that.

but, everybody has to do what works for them including deciding what words describe their experience. I've given this a lot of thought.

size 8, life is great

goodkel
on 9/2/11 5:36 pm

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

goodkel
on 9/2/11 5:30 pm
On August 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM Pacific Time, Linda_S wrote:
I don't know.  I'm sure the surgery fails the patient in many cases, BUT I have seen some people on this forum post what they eat, defend fast food to the death, make bad choices, and a year or two later, they're back here complaining that their surgery failed and they need a revision.  REALLY?  Let's face it.  We were food addicts before we had surgery, and food addicts we always will be.  Sure, we can learn to eat well, lose weight and keep it off, or we can have surgery, suffer through the initial months, start eating all the crap we ate before surgery, gradually stretch our stomachs, and end up right back where we started.  That's not surgical failure.
Fast food is healthy for me. Some fast food is even healthy for people who don't malabsorb fat the way I do. Nothing wrong with fast food. If they have psychological issues surrounding food that prevents them from adhering to the requirements of their surgery, that's the surgeon's fault for approving the surgery before those issues have been addressed. If someone feels hunger all the time or never feels full and then eats too much, that is the surgery's fault.

No, sorry, never been a food addict. I had to fudge the dates a to qualify for my surgeon's five years as morbidly obese requirement. This was me in 2001 and how I was most of my life:

I'm about the same size now. The DS gave me my life back.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Linda_S
on 9/3/11 2:07 am, edited 9/3/11 2:07 am - Eugene, OR
Party on!  If you really believe fast food is healthy, you are deluding yourself.  I'll pray for your health.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

goodkel
on 9/3/11 3:36 am
On September 3, 2011 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, Linda_S wrote:
Party on!  If you really believe fast food is healthy, you are deluding yourself.  I'll pray for your health.
How have you managed to be a member of OH for SO long and yet manage to remain SO completely ignorant about malabsorption?

It astounds me.

Put on your thinking cap because I'm about to teach you.

DSers malabsorb 80% of the fat they eat. "Malabsorb" means that we do NOT absorb them. 80% of the fats we eat do not enter our bloodstream, do not clog our arteries, do not stick around to do ANY damage whatsoever. Some of us need to make a concerted effort to add more fat to our diets to avoid constipation. Greasy burgers=HEALTH food for us. Lots of protein and the fat doesn't matter.

Learn it, live it, love it.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Most Active