Considering the RnY? Please educate yourself. These threads are a place to start.

beemerbeeper
on 9/26/11 3:22 am - AL
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

These threads discuss why weight gain post RnY is so common.  They also give good comparisons between surgery types.

The reasons I didn't chose the RnY:

Too high a chance of regain
Not able to take NSAIDs for life
Loss of malabsorption after 18 months - 3 years for calories but malabsorption of vitamins for life
Not able to drink with meals
Dumping sndrome
Reactive hypoglycemia (google it)
Food getting stuck

If you are interested in the alternative surgery that is considered the platinum standard check out the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFacts.com.

The reason for this post is that surgeons who don't DO the DS will not tell you about the DS.  I believe everyone has a right to know what ALL the WLS options are so that they can make an informed decision. 

Paying it forward,

~Becky

tonirc
on 9/26/11 4:34 am - KY
Yehuda G.
on 9/26/11 5:02 am
I'm glad you've done well with your RNY.  You are right that there is no perfect surgery that doesn't cause any problems. IMO, the main issue is whether the typical patient will have problems and how often will the surgery fail and require further surgical intervention.

Unfortunately many, myself included, have many issues with the rny that require revisions, particularly revision to the DS. The DS is not a free ride, but it is a much more powerful surgery than rny and gives a second chance for those who did not fare well with other surgeries. I do not think the op of this thread really wants to put down the rny (maybe she does), but rather let preopers know of other options, especially being that so many of us end up revising to the DS. I know wish I knew of the DS the first time.

beemerbeeper
on 9/26/11 8:03 am - AL
I think everyone hears the success stories about the RnY.  Especially from people who are less than 2 years out.  Congrats to you on your long term success.  The stats say that some people WILL have long term success with the RnY so I don't think anyone will be suprised to hear from people who fell into that category.

If you would like to point out where I "down(ed) one surgery or another" I would appreciate seeing that.  What I did was try to provide INFORMATION about the surgery types that many people do not get from their surgeons so that they can make an informed and educated decision about what surgery to have.

Do you really have a problem with education and information?

~Becky

tonirc
on 9/26/11 11:54 am - KY

Becky, I'm so sorry if my message came out wrong.  Or if part of it was missing.  I was typing with three boys bouncing on me. lol  I never said or meant to sound like you were downing anything.  I was just saying in gerenal.  I have see it on here before.  I'm been around here for a while.  I totally agree with you about education.  I am big about it.  I think people should research things over and over again.  But find accoutable sources as well.  Not saying that your's isn't .  I was saying that I must be one of those people with no issues.  Yes, I do want to lose more like 40 pounds but it is a personal thing.  I meant my doctors goal.  Even with have the three boys.  I'm proud of that.  I do believe it should be a law that the doctor's give you information an all the surgeries even if they don't perform them and all the data they have.  Meaning side affects and possible issues right after and years down the road.  I'm truly sorry if I offended you.  That was not my goal at all.  I was mainly making a general statement.  I have seen people die from theband, rny, and other surgeries.  I pray for them and their families.  But I also truly believe that each person should make their own choice AFTER  researching everything.  Just because I chose rny doesn't mean it is for someone else.  I just pray that people do reseach what they want done and look over the others too so they are more comfortable with their decision.  Again, I am truly sorry if my post came across wrong.

ecshumway
on 10/16/11 1:24 am - NY
Is it really possible to have a revision from RNY to DS? Is there a list of Doctors who do this? I just had my RNY in August but after reading DS I would have gone with that had I known about it before my surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/11 2:32 am - San Jose, CA

Yes revision of RNY to DS is possible - BUT!

- It is a very difficult surgery, and there are only a very few surgeons who can do it at all, and really only 2 I personally would trust (the others sometimes do it in two steps, or tell you they can't or won't revise a pouch that is "functional" whatever that means, since I think a pouch is by definition DYSfunctional)

- You are only a few weeks out, so I hope you don't think a revision is something you could even remotely be considering now

- "but after reading DS I would have gone with that had I known about it before my surgery": Your join date was months before your RNY - how could you have missed the dozens of posts we DS vets make all the time promoting information about the DS, in an effort to prevent just such statements??

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO GET ANNOYED BY DSERS POSTING ABOUT THE DS, THIS POST IS JUST THE REASON WE DO IT.

ecshumway
on 10/16/11 8:38 am - NY
No I iam not considering a revision now. So far the RNY is working. My join date was 3 months before my surgery but to be honest I did not spend a lot of time on the site until after my surgery. I wasn't even aware of so many different types of surgery and my Dr only does Lap Band and RNY. I did tons of research but failed to notice that there were other methods. My bad .

beemerbeeper
on 10/16/11 4:12 am - AL
I personally think it is malpractice for surgeons not to inform their patients about all FOUR surgical options that are being commonly done today.  But they don't.  So we try to spread the word where we can so that people know the options BEFORE they have surgery.

~Becky

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/26/11 10:29 am
and yet, in another post you mentioned that you want to lose another 40 lbs. So you only gained 10 lbs.. but you did not get to be at goal? or I am missing something?
My goal was 150... I lost down to 143-5 and then gained back to 165.. I am still size 8-10.. and that in itself is not large... but would not mind losing 10 lbs... For me RNY worked. weight wise... other issues - hate it. 
RH, dumping, constant diet - severe RH make me sick after  I eat carbs.. even complex arbs, dumping on too much fats...developed severe allergies to a lot of foods...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active