OT: Smoking...

JAADE
on 9/28/11 8:26 am
RNY on 01/31/12
I need to quit NOW for surgery...The place I am considering getting surgery at wants 2 months of smoke free patients. Anyone have suggestions of any new quitting medicines out there? I tried Chantix a couple years ago and not looking forward to those crazy dreams again.

I know, I know...smoking is discusting. I am aware of everything horrible about it. I have smoked for 18 years and I am so not good at quitting things...lol....I have an oral fixation I suppose. I wonder how much weight I will gain BEFORE surgery. ;)
MyOwnSunshine
on 9/28/11 8:50 am
I tried to quit a lot of different ways, but when I finally succeeded, I just quit cold turkey.  Try tapering down over a period of a week -- if you smoke a pack a day, then smoke a half pack the first day, 8 cigarettes the next, 6 the next, 4 the next, 3, 2, 1, then quit and be done with it.

Get rid of all your cigarettes and vow not to buy any more.  Any time you have a craving, drink water, which will prepare you for all the water drinking you will be doing post-op.

Once of the things that really helped me while quitting was to remember that the first day, the first week, the first month was the hardest.  As long as I didn't smoke, I would never have to experience that worst moment ever again.  That same thought is what keeps me from ever picking one up again.  I don't ever want to have to do it again.

It is hard, but you can do it.  It really would be good mental preparation for surgery.  Once you have surgery, your mind will tell you that you "need" all kinds of crazy things, but you'll already be in the habit of resisting those irrational thoughts.

And once you quit -- stay quit.  6 years out, I still want a cigarette every once in a while, but quitting is one of the best and hardest things I've ever done.

Good luck!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
DebsGiz
on 9/28/11 9:00 am - FL
My husband and I used Wellbutrin (sp??) and the nicotine patch together.  Worked great.  We've been non-smokers for well over 10 years now.

Good luck!!!
Gina1013
on 9/28/11 9:06 am - Canton, OH
Yeah, smoking is disgusting, but I did it for almost 30 years.

Have you tried Wellbutrin? I know a few people who had great success with it.

I also had to quit for surgery. I used the nicotine patches (started with step 2) and ate sugar free suckers...a LOT of sugar free suckers. The suckers seemed to be a huge help. My fiance also quit , although he went 'cold turkey' and also ate a lot of suckers.

As far as the weight gain..while stopping smoking will slow your metabolism, if you watch what you eat, you will be fine. I quit while I was trying to lose 50 lbs for surgery and did not gain after quitting, and continued to lose weight.  I think if you are determined to have surgery and motivated by that, it makes it a little easier....Good Luck!

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

steelerfan1
on 9/28/11 9:24 am, edited 9/28/11 9:25 am
My one yr anniversary is coming up Oct 8th of this yr it was hard but well worth it :o)  I was a two pack a day sometimes three pack a day smoker !!

I was to scared to try Chantix or any other drugs out there so I just quit cold turkey and I will not lie it was a total ***** . I was moody,  I slept alot the first week .  the first week was the hardest and then it got easier and easier each week.

I never did gain weight either, I had to quit 30 days before my surgery and I was to scared to go into the operating room heavier then 348 pounds. That terrified me so much and that kept me from putting a single pound on .  Fear alone .

My biggest place to smoke was the computer , computer equals smokes. and I spend alot of time on the puter for hubby's business and them stupid facebook games lmao.   What I did was make myself go outside to smoke . No more smoking by the computer .First it was like every 30 min going out and then it got longer and longer .  I think that is what helped me . I stopped smoking at my places first where I smoked alot before I actually quit smoking .

Now, I cant stand the smell of the stuff. People will walk by and I smell it on their clothes and couldn't believe I smelled like that.   It now makes me gag. 

Dont get me wrong though I still crave them and I think you always will. My mom quit over 20 yrs ago and certain foods will trigger her wanting one .  Stress is a huge one for me.  I know deep down though if I would ever pick up another one just for a puff I would start all over again .

You can do this.  I think quitting smoking made me realize how strong of a person I truly am because quitting smoking was ten harder then trying to lose this weight.  You couldn't pay me enough to to through that again ask my family lol.

Just think of your surgery , your health, and how much better you will feel and smell :o)

Good Luck !!!

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Dave Chambers
on 9/28/11 10:12 am - Mira Loma, CA
There are many more "helpers" to stop smoking than were available when I stopped smoking in 1991. Of my limited options, I chose hypnosis to stop smoking. I'd tried cold turkey more than one time. No meds were commonly available to help at that time.  If you really have a strong urge to stop smoking, then you're likely a very good candidate for hypnosis.  It worked well for me. One night in a group session that took less than 2 hours, and not one cigarette since then.  I even drove to work with a carton of cigarettes on my front seat for six months to make sure I was "cured".  I finally threw the carton away.  I just looked on Ebay under "stop smoking" and there are a wide variety of fake cigarettes (to help with your oral fixation), self hynosis CD's, and many other items (around 875 in that category).  BTW, you should also begin to wean yourself off of high sugar or high carb foods, pasta, rice, sodas, caffeinated drinks, etc.  This will likely help with wt loss prior to surgery too, but are mandatory once you've had surgery.  Smoking is a BIG ISSUE. If you start smoking again post op, you'll likely have emergency surgery to repair bleeding ulcers. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JAADE
on 9/28/11 12:18 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
Wow! Thank you so much all of you. I am just beginning everything and it is all so exciting but overwhelming too. I appriciate your support. It is so nice to hear from others and what you have gone through. My husband just quit smoking yesterday because he is tired of paying so much for them. He is so strong willed! I don't think he loves them as much as me. LOL.
I know the time is right. Thank you again. And wow, think of all the money we are going to save! About $250 a month. (Money for new clothes?) ;)
And oh my goodness, that last comment on how if I start back up after surgery I will go back for bleeding ulcers. Eek! That will stick in my head!

Twyla S.
on 9/28/11 1:17 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 Bless your heart....I'm trying to quit myself and going ABSOLUTELY BATTY.  I know mine is mostly the whole hand/mouth thing, so I've tried the straws, peppermint sticks......as of right now I'm smoking a big fat stogie, which at least slowwwws me down.  I have COPD, so my dumb butt should already know better...now they say my hubby's lungs are completely eaten up with emphysema, so stopping is MANDATORY.  

I don't think that non smokers realize the "emotional" attachment that one develops with the cigarette.  For me, it has always been there...for my nerves, boredom, helped me with diets. lonliness....they've just been there when nobody else was.  Does that make sense to anyone besides myself?  LOL  I wake up......it's coffee and my cig......go to check emails, have a cig......eat breakfast, and God knows you have to have a cig after a meal!  It's a neverending cycle......so don't feel alone in quitting.  I'm  out here going nuts too....LOL
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 5:34 pm, edited 9/28/11 5:59 pm - OH
I just recently quit smoking for surgery as well! I got a prescription for Zyban (wellbutrin)...but I didn't like the side effects. Then I tried the patches/gum (again)..but it just seemed to make the cravings worse and once again I gave into smoking. Then I got an e-cigarette and quit effortlessly...BUT, I wasn't allowed to have nicotine in my system so I had to quit that as well.

So this is what is helping me now. I finally just went cold turkey. I decided if my goal was to get off nicotine, then I might as well just deal with one big withdrawl than prolonging it with the patch. I got the 0 nicotine cartriges for my e-cigarette just to help with the oral fixation. I had withdrawl symptoms, but the e-cigarette helped even though it didn't contain nicotine.

Another HUGE help for me (and still is) is watching this video:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgvkSoYGeS4
When I feel like I want a cigarette, I stop whatever I'm doing and I take time out to watch that video. I realized that part of the relaxation for me of smoking was that I just checked out for 10 minutes all throughout the day by going outside to smoke. Now I replace that with watching this video. I figure if I could stop what I'm doing to go out and smoke, I can stop and watch the video. That alone helped relieve a lot of the anxiety when I had a craving.

I wish you the best of luck! And I highly recommend an e-cigarette. I had no problem transitioning from cigarettes to the nicotine cartriges and would have had no problem with smoking that for life. But since I had to get off the nicotine, the act of "smoking" something helps tremendously!
Twyla S.
on 9/28/11 9:22 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I actually did buy one of those e-cigs, and they are GREAT.  Mine tastes like crap, but it's something to puff on.  From what I understand you can buy all kinds of cartridges, diff. flavors too, I've not gotten that far with them...LOL
Most Active