Vitamin & Mineral Absorption

Dot T.
on 10/2/11 5:46 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 Is there a diagram anywhere that shows what part of the digestive tract that certain vitamins and minerals are absorbed?  I tried to search it and thought I found one, but the link was broken :-(

I'm asking not only out of my own curiosity, but my father-in-law is currently taking chemo for stomach cancer and after his chemo he will be having his entire stomach removed followed by more chemo...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Dot
poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 6:07 pm - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dot T.
on 10/2/11 6:17 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 wow, cool!  Thanks!

My father in law was told that because of no stomach he will have to have b-12 injections for life.  I think that he could do sublingual.....

I do fine with sublingual, but I do have a *bit* of my stomach still in use, where he will have NONE.  What do you think?

Dot
poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 6:24 pm - OH
He should be able to do a sublingual, or the nasal spray, if he doesn't want to do injections.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dot T.
on 10/2/11 6:23 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 How come B-12 is shown to be absorbed in the section of the ilium which isn't by-passed?  I thought the reason we have to take sublingual b-12 was because the part that absorbs b-12 was bypassed?

Actually, I thought b-12 was absorbed in the stomach and since most of our stomach is bypassed.....

Nevermind, thanks...  I'm just thinking *aloud*
poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 6:25 pm - OH
The problem is that we lack intrinsic factor in our pouch, which is needed to absorb B12 that we swallow.

Dot T.
on 10/2/11 6:28 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 ahhh...  I see.  Thanks!  I really should be in bed since I have to wake up in about 3 hours :-/
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/11 1:07 am, edited 10/3/11 1:22 am
Some people have problem with absorbing and maintaining good levels of B12. I am one of those people.
I do need B12 injections. And I do need mine every week. Crazy, I know, but you need to do what you need to do.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rbb825
on 10/3/11 6:07 pm, edited 10/3/11 6:09 pm - Suffern, NY
I need to do mine 3 times per week and have been doing that for the past 15 years long before my RNY.

I missed them last winter for 2months while in the hospital and my level dropped from 1800 to 400 - had to take them daily for 2 weeks and then go back to 3 times per week and am now back to 1400. Still haven't been able to get back to my level of 1800

Most Active