Wear Weights for Consult?

JAADE
on 10/7/11 3:06 am
RNY on 01/31/12
I saw another thread and this came up...I thought it deserved its own thread. Would you wear weights to get your BMI over 40? Did you do it? Would you advise someone else to do it for surgery?

I was surprised to seem someone suggest it. However, when I got home and told my husband my BMI was 38 we joked about how I should have worn weights. I find intruiging people would do this... (Not judging, just find it interesting!)

Share your thoughts?

cajungirl
on 10/7/11 3:40 am
I didn't but I do know someone that did.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 4:05 am

Knowing what I know now about the DS....I would wear weights in a heartbeat!  Of course,  didn't have to, since I was well over the required minimum BMI!
sunnymicki
on 10/7/11 4:10 am
Well I'm not trying to be judgy, but the thing is, its insurance fraud.  Not only is it illegal, but you could end up having to pay back all the expenses from your surgery if it was ever found out that you did it.  So in that vein, its not something I'd ever admit to doing, you know?  Especially not online, where even deleted posts can be resurrected from the dead.

If I was close to the weight limit, I might "unintentionally" gain weight, but thats probably it.  Luckily, I didn't have to worry about it.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

JAADE
on 10/7/11 4:12 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Is it really 50 BMI for DS? or 40 for most insurances?
danas
on 10/7/11 5:06 am - CA
Some insurances say that, but it can be appealed.

Won against big bad (SoCal) Kaiser for a Duodenal Switch  Haven't heard of DS? Kaiser wants it that way. Come on over & read the truth
Hit goal (Normal BMI) on 2-10-11!    I LOVE my DS!!
My approval process timeline:
02/12/09 - Dr. refused to refer me for WLS
03/03/09 - Vented/whined about it on another board, planned to just wait until next year & switch plans
Let's see what happens!  **updates in blog**
butercup
on 10/7/11 6:15 am - Kennewick, WA
Mine was 35 with comorbs and 40 without.  My highest bmi was 53 when I first started and it was 47 at the time of surgery.
poet_kelly
on 10/7/11 4:31 am - OH
I would not, no.  It's insurance fraud and besides being illegal, insurance fraud will drive the cost of insurance up for everyone.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mkbeany
on 10/7/11 5:28 am
It's fraud.
Pure and simple.

and hey, I'm not afraid to judge...I am in the medical profession and don't tolerate liars very well.

We all pay in the end.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
So Blessed!
on 10/7/11 5:31 am

Someone doing this could be setting themselves up to get a drug overdose.  Some medications are prescribed according to weight.