How much will I need to lose on Pre-Op diet?

knowbetterdobetter
on 10/26/11 11:46 pm - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Hey all,
I am trying to figure out how much weight I will need to lose on my pre-op diet. My surgeons office won't tell me until I get the approval but I want to get a jump on things before then. I will be having surgery with Dr Kim at Celebration in Orlando Fl. I am 5'1" and weigh 305lbs. Thanks so much.
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 11:52 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
The amount of weight you need to lose is determined by your surgeon and, possibly, your insurance. 

You can start practicing the diet you need to follow but will need to defer on the actual pre-op weight loss goal for the time being.

Good luck.
MsBatt
on 10/27/11 12:01 am
The amount you "need" to lose is whatever your surgeon or your insurance company insist on. There's NO evidence that pre-operative weight loss increases your odds of success.
mkbeany
on 10/27/11 12:36 am

Depends on the surgeon.

My doc requires 10% of your body weight before he puts you on the schedule.

And it really doesn't matter if medical research supports it or not. It is physician preference.
If you choose that surgeon- they set the rules.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
knowbetterdobetter
on 10/27/11 12:45 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks all. I found some old posts (a few years old) on OH from someone that had surgery with the same doctor. At that time he only required a two week post-op diet so hopefully things have not changed. Thanks so much for all of your replies and input.
Most Active