acid reflux question

berrixblonde
on 11/18/11 10:02 pm - NY
 hey all. i am 8 months RNY post op. i was taking nexium after surgery and everything was fine and well. then i tried to stop it because the 6 months we were to take it was up and i got horrible pains. constant burning, and acid in my throat. so they put me on protonix because its literally 50 dollars a month cheaper than nexium. and now im having nausea, and every night i feel like i have a lump in my throat. 

does this sound like reflux to you all? has any other RNYer had this issue? i need to call the DR and have him state the nexium is medically neccesary so suffering till monday!

thanks for the replies! -Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 10:11 pm
Hi Nicole,

I was on Prilosec, and others daily for years before surgery.  My surgeon had me stop the day before RNY and I never needed it again.

You are 8 months post-op.  How has the weight loss been?  What do you eat?  Do you snack on chocolate, or sweets, alcohol, or coffee drinker?  All of those can cause it.

Sorry you are still suffering from this. 
walter A.
on 11/19/11 9:25 am - lafayette, NJ
you can get prilosec generic much cheaper than the name brand stuff,  sound like you are refluxing taking the meds eliminates the acid, and the burning, but not the relux, you should seek out a remedy for the reflux. 
 I required a special vsg so i dont reflux at all, but i do take prilosec and will do so for life, it prevents intestinal ulcers and hemroids,fissures which i finally cured.  My reflux was so bad it caused my apnea, weight gain, and a fib.
Most Active