water intake problems

leanno01
on 11/24/11 9:33 am
Does anyone else have trouble drinking plain water? I am 5 weeks post opt and get sick on regular water. My water needs to be flavored or have some lemon in it. I get thirsty for regular water? Any suggestions????
k9ophile
on 11/24/11 9:50 am
Time is your friend.  Many of us had problems for weeks to months tolerating things we enjoyed prior to surgery.  I couldn't believe water would be one of those things, yet it was.  I experimented with different temperatures and different add-ins such as herbal teas or drink mixes.  I'm surprised I didn't get dehydrated since I had problems with everything.  Now I drink water just like I did pre-op. 

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Dave Chambers
on 11/24/11 10:39 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Initial issues with water are not uncommon. Usually it's the pateints inability to drink enough water, not flavor.  But adding lemon juice of diluted fruit juice is a solution that some post ops use to tolerate water issues.  I got a Victorio snow cone maker from Amazon--they also have them on Ebay.  Discharge the shaved ice into a soup mug, filling half way. Add some SF Torani syrup. Fill up rest of mug with ice, and top of with a little more SF syrup. Flavored water, in a wide range of flavors, and you eat it with a spoon. This also helps satisfy the craving to chew more foods in the early stages too. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MacMadame
on 11/25/11 8:43 am - Northern, CA
This has something to do with the surface tension in our stomachs now that they are so much smaller. Just keep putting some flavor or lemon in it. It helps the water cut into the stomach fluids (which are acidic) by making the water more acidic.

Over time you may find you don't need to add anything to your water but I am 3+ years out and I still sometimes need to do that.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Valerie G.
on 11/25/11 9:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Drink whatever's wet and agrees with you...and get 64oz of it, nomatterwhat

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathict
on 11/25/11 9:19 am - West Haven, CT
Crystal lite helped me a lot during those early days. I still use it today when I just don't want plain water. I also used Fruit 2 O. Grape was easiest for me to tolerate. I had a thing about flavors during that time. It all gets easier as you go on.

coleman74
on 11/29/11 4:20 am - AL
My surgery was 9 weeks ago yesterday and I am still having trouble getting my fluids in. The thought of drinking water makes me want to cry. I told my doctor about my troubles getting in the water but told him that I was able to do unsweet tea and he said that if its all I can get down to drink it. I have never been a big fluid drinker even before RNY. Some days I would go all day and have nothing to drink. I make a honest effort now to have something on my desk at all times but I am still only getting in about 40oz a day.
Most Active