Im back (sigh) VGB 2003 to RNY 2011

Jana J.
on 11/26/11 5:22 am
start lbs: 230~ VGB ~ 106 lost ~Dr Harberg.
maintained for 3 years before 1st pregnancy. Back to original weight after 2 back to back pregnancies.

Today 11/26/2011~228 lbs

!!!!Revision Scheduled~December 15th !!!!

VGB to RNY

Any input on what to expect during recovery and weight loss speed??  Any comments / suggestions welcomed!!

Thanks
Emily F.
on 11/26/11 6:23 am
I'm curious, Is your doctor leaving the vgb and bypassing it or removing the vgb?
Jana J.
on 11/26/11 7:14 am
Hi Emily!
I may have given TMI but here you goI suffer from word vomit

The doctor is not only removing the original WLS but, the silastic ring that was placed for restriction purposes, small part of my esophagus, a portion of my liver, scar tissue from the original wls and 2 c-section and my gallbladder not to mention everything else involved in a RNY.

After tests I learned that my silastic ring has impregnated itself into my liver.  this is one of the many reasons they do not perform VGB any longer.  
Emily F.
on 11/26/11 7:31 am
On November 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM Pacific Time, Jana J. wrote:
Hi Emily!
I may have given TMI but here you goI suffer from word vomit

The doctor is not only removing the original WLS but, the silastic ring that was placed for restriction purposes, small part of my esophagus, a portion of my liver, scar tissue from the original wls and 2 c-section and my gallbladder not to mention everything else involved in a RNY.

After tests I learned that my silastic ring has impregnated itself into my liver.  this is one of the many reasons they do not perform VGB any longer.  
 Sorry, this is interesting to me. So is he leaving any stomach or taking it all? Sounds like he is having to take it all?
Jana J.
on 11/26/11 7:40 am
No apology necessary.  It helps me to talk about it to people in the WLS community....

He will leave a very small portion of my stomach.  It will look like a typical RNY when he is done.

He specializes in revisions and has performed several VGB revision.
Emily F.
on 11/26/11 7:55 am
On November 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM Pacific Time, Jana J. wrote:
No apology necessary.  It helps me to talk about it to people in the WLS community....

He will leave a very small portion of my stomach.  It will look like a typical RNY when he is done.

He specializes in revisions and has performed several VGB revision.
 Good. I'm glad he is a revisionist, this sounds complex. There is also a revision board, click on forums and it should come up.  Good luck.
MsBatt
on 11/30/11 12:41 am
I think---I hope!---that you misunderstood your doctor. I think he probaby said your band has become implanted in your liver, not impregnated in your liver.

im·preg·nate  (m-prgnt) tr.v. im·preg·nat·ed, im·preg·nat·ing, im·preg·nates 1. To make pregnant; inseminate. 2. To fertilize (an ovum, for example). 3. To fill throughout; saturate: a cotton wad that was impregnated with ether. 4. To permeate or imbue: impregnate a speech with optimism. See Synonyms at charge. adj. also (-nt) Saturated or filled.

im·plant  (m-plnt) v. im·plant·ed, im·plant·ing, im·plants v.tr. 1. To set in firmly, as into the ground: implant fence posts. 2. To establish securely, as in the mind or consciousness; instill: habits that had been implanted early in childhood. 3. Medicine a. To insert or embed (an object or a device) surgically: implant a drug capsule; implant a pacemaker. b. To graft or insert (a tissue) within the body. v.intr. Embryology To become attached to and embedded in the uterine lining. Used of a fertilized egg. n. (mplnt) Something implanted, especially a surgically implanted tissue or device: a dental implant; a subcutaneous implant.
poet_kelly
on 11/26/11 6:38 am - OH
I'm sorry to hear you have to have a revision, but glad you're doing what you need to do to get the weight off again.

I see a lot of people that revise from band to RNY and it seems like many of them lose a bit slower than those of us having our first WLS.  Don't know why that is and not sure if that will be your experience, of course, but don't get discouraged if it is.  The banders that revise that I have known do really well,, the process of losing is just a bit slower for them.  The most important thing is that they lose, though, not how fast it comes off.

Come check us out on the RNY board.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jana J.
on 11/26/11 7:30 am
Thank you for your response and well wishes.  What I did not mention earlier, but should have is Not only did I fail my wls tool, but the gastroplasy "band" has impregnated itself into my liver causing some discomfort.  

I will definitely come and check out the RNY board. Are there many on the board that have had revisions??

poet_kelly
on 11/26/11 7:34 am - OH
Quite a few.  Most are lapband to RNY but some have had other surgeries before RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active