Endoscopy Test?

Shana16
on 11/26/11 4:00 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I am having it done Dec 1st.  I am having trouble eating in the morning and throwing up. My doctor is doing it in his office I am going to be a wake for the whole thing.  My questions is what is it going to be like?  What should I be excepting? Any pain, if so were is the pain going to be?  If he needs to "stretch" the stomach can it be done right then and is it pain full?
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

qnmimi
on 11/26/11 6:59 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Is this a gastroenterologist doing your procedure? If so, you will have an IV placed for sedation. Chances are you may not even remember the procedure once it is done. You will be given a ****tail of drugs through your iv that will relax you, and help with any discomfort. They should not start the procedure until you are deeply relaxed...but you will be somewhat awake so that you can swallow the scope, and keep breathing normally. You will have frequent vital signs taken. The procedure itself shouldn't be painful, and stretching your esophagus is not painful either. If there is no damage seen in your esophagus, the plan for stretching if needed should be discussed, and you would have to sign a consent for clearly spelled out plan of treatment. Please do not be afraid to ask question, and be honest about any anxiety you may feel as high anxiety will diminish the effects of planned sedation, and will make your procedure longer too. Good luck to you!!

poet_kelly
on 11/27/11 12:18 am - OH
Why in his office instead of a hospital and why no sedation?  That sounds awful to me.

I don't know if there will be much pain since you are awake.  I know that I had it done twice and one time I had a sore throat afterward.  But I was out for them both.  I would not want to be awake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BethR311
on 11/27/11 12:31 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I had one done preop in an endo center and had an IV placed. They took me back to the procedure area and had me put this plastic thing in my mouth through which they would feed the instruments etc. The next thing I remember is walking out, although my roommate says they gave me a choice of juices after the procedure and I chose one and drank it, but I have no memory of that whatsoever. Versed is a beautiful thing! No pain. Ask your gastro or regular doctor for a pre procedure Rx for something to relax you, such as ativan. That is my "rescue med" for anxiety at a very low dose, .5 mg. I hope this goes well for you and they can figure out why you're getting sick and fix it. You've done so well, I hate that this is happening to you!

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Tawni_K
on 11/27/11 12:41 am - South Africa
Hi Shana

I have had this procedure 3 times - once with no sedation, once semi-conscious (with dormicum) and once, last week under full anesthetic. I am pre-op, so not sure how it changes post op and I don't know anything about the stomach stretching. My experience with no sedation was not fun at all - the doctor was a bit of a quack, and was late for another appointment and so didn't want to have to fight to find my veins for the IV. I'm SURE your doctor won't do this, it is very unprofessional and non-standard procedure.

Under semi-sedation is very easy. You will be given an injection and you will still be able to talk and answer questions and be semi-conscious, but afterwards, you won't remember a thing. It really isn't very scary at all. This is probably how your procedure will be done, because you need to be checked into the hospital  for full sedation.

In terms of how you will feel afterwards - for me I had a bit of a sore throat, and some bloating and gas pains from swallowing air during the procedure. And that was all.

I hope it goes really well :) In my opinion, you don't need to stress out about it  
Elizabeth N.
on 11/27/11 1:29 am, edited 12/31/11 6:17 am - Burlington County, NJ

Tawni_K
on 11/27/11 1:35 am - South Africa
Yeah - tell me about it! What a stupid doctor - and he had the guts to tell me to "calm down, its not that bad!" It was the one time in my life that I thought my mom might actually physically attack the doctor  

Yep - don't think it is ever really done, he was a bad doctor!

I found the sedated  endoscope to be very simple :)
Elizabeth N.
on 11/27/11 1:27 am, edited 12/31/11 6:18 am - Burlington County, NJ

Shana16
on 11/27/11 4:02 pm - Las Vegas, NV
From talking to the front desk lady.  I will be giving no meds. It will be going through my nose. I will 100% wake and aware of everything.  My WLS doctor will be doing it in the office not a hospital. 
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

ThighHi10
on 11/27/11 4:13 pm - Evansville, IN
Had it done twice and was put under did feel a thing and only took 30 min. for it to be done.  Good luck and everthing will be alright.

Lisa