Ok. This is off topic, but I really need help!!!!!

Miss_Kitty
on 11/28/11 4:01 am - New Bedford, MA
What kind of lawyer should I seek?

My landlord is such a jerk! We have been having trouble with bedbugs in our apartment! (It's true what they say.....it doesn't matter how clean or dirty your home is and I am a neat freak!) He has only hired an exterminator once (whom he is buddy buddy with so he gets discounts) The exterminator was supposed to come back 2-3 weeks later and do it again, and then a final treatment 2-3 weeks out. My landlord keeps saying the exterminator doesn't want to come back. (he broke a leg off of my standing mirror and won't own up to it.) My landlord has then tried ridding the bugs himself with whatever he could find CHEAP at Home Depot. He hasn't sprayed or done anything in over a month, even though he says he will come by Saturday "if he is not working." (he seems to be "working" EVERY Saturday!)

To make a long story short, he is furious with the bug problem because it is costing him lots of $$$$. So he is increasing our rent $150 more a month!!! (he told us that is the real reason, but on paper, he is going to say it is due to his housing insurance rates rising.)

I've been in and out of the hospital because I have lymphedema in my legs and the bites have caused cellulite. The office manager at my doctor's office won't let me or my fiancee see our Dr.s until the bug problem is gone. My lymphedema is going untreated and has swollen up so bad I can barely walk!

Due to the bugs, I can't see my Dr. and I am on meds where my blood needs to be closely monitored. (blood thinners) I can't get my lymphedema treated, my fiancee can't see his Dr. or his cardiologist.

We've been told to call the Board of Health. We can't because they will come and invest gate the apartment, then condemn it due to it being unsafe and violating a health code. My neighbors downstairs will then have to relocate temporarily and so would we......but we have 7 cats and nowhere else to go. No one (family or friends) has an extra room. The landlord would be forced to provide accommodations for us in a motel, but what about our cats? They are like children to me so putting them in a shelter is out of the question. Plus, none of our family or friends have the room for our cats.

We want to seek an attorney and sue the pants off our landlord for not doing his job, increasing the rent so high that we really can't afford it. (and he knows it!) And we have nowhere to go for our health care needs due to the office manager barring us from our doctors office!

Sorry for the long post. Any idea what kind of attorney to seek? Personal injury? (the bugs are injuring my health!) Civil rights? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.   

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 4:51 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
if you have documented proof that you have told him about the bugs like copies of letters you have sent to him certified mail and nothing is getting done, and now he is raising your rent its retaliation. Most places have rules on if you get a rent increase in 90 days of you trying to deal with that its retaliation. You will have to look into your statues where you live tho. I can understand that your cats are your babies but if you could put them in a boarding house while your in a hotel that would be best or find a hotel that lets you have your animals. Slum lords don't care one bit about how bad the place they rent is as long as they keep getting their money and the only way to send a message to them is to hit them were it hurts the pocketbook. The other thing you can do is go down to your court system and start paying them the rent I don't remember the technical term for it but they hold the rent as a way to make the landlord do the repairs and deal with the bug issues properly. They can even order the landlord to pay you back for all the hell you have gone through and time you have not had a suitable place to live even tho you are paying rent. Either way you will need to look into things with the courts where you live. Usually they don't condemn places if its only one issue there has to be multiple issues for them to do that. Plus honestly the only way to get rid of bedbugs is to have a heat treatment. That takes special equipment and you would need to be out of your home along with your fur babies for 8 hours min.
littleskie
on 11/28/11 6:53 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'd also speak with a real estate atty. If you have a lease your landlord cannot increase the rent no matter what until the lease lets him.

As far as treatment for your health conditions, don't let it slide. I'm also on blood thinners. Go to the emergency room. Let them know whats going on. You cannot sue the pants off anyone if you are in the hospital or worse because you didn't take care of yourself.

I am so grateful i've never had to deal with bedbugs, but I used to work as a leasing agent. They are very difficult to deal with. I wish you all the luck in getting rid of them.

Oh yeah, call the health dept and see if you can withhold part of the rent until the problem is remedied or if you can perhaps apply the withheld rent towards an exterminator. You do not have to give them your name and address. Just ask to pick their brains. Read your lease from beginning to end first tho, if you have one.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 7:06 am - Woodbridge, VA
Also, check the rental laws in your state. I'm in VA, and here, landlords are not allowed to increase rent by more than $50 per year for the same tenant.
Pupcake !.
on 11/28/11 8:53 am - Stranded in, IA
You need to see the Dr.

Dr's see many people every day with contageous diseases, viruses, and yes infestations.  Lice, scabies, they see them all.  Generally you can't "carry" bedbugs on your body especialy during the day.  Even so Docs have seen everything.

If one doc is refusing service you need to go to a different one.  How does the receptionist know that you have bedbugs at home?

The only legal case you would have with bedbugs woudl be if your doc was really refusing to see you.

A jury would just tell you to move if your landlord isn't doing enough.

If your home or your neighbors is cluttered or "full" like mine it is virtually impossible to get rid of them.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

littleskie
on 11/28/11 9:57 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
If someone has a lease they may not be able to just move to leave the bed bugs behind. Plus they will almost always end up bringing them with them when they move. Thereby infesting the new place.

It all depends on if there is a lease and exactly what the lease says. As well as what the laws are in her state, which she can find out by calling the health department.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/28/11 9:24 pm
You need a real estate attorney.
Also if your doc won't see you go to the ER to get treated.

Winnie

Most Active