Men...Bone density scan post WLS...

cabin111
on 12/5/11 10:06 am
Just wondering if any of you men have had a bone density scan before or post WLS?  My surgeon recommended I get one...My PCP said it was not necessary.  I'm over 5 years post op with no issues.  Yes, we know it's commonly done on women who don't have WLS.  So Men...Have you had one done.  I'm cross posting this on several forums...
AMYH-M
on 11/28/11 6:26 am - League City, TX
If your surgeon says you should, then I would. Most PCP don't know anything about WL paients. If your surgery makes you mal absorb calcium, then it doesn't matter that you are male.  You also should closely watch your iron, because most PCP will say men don't need iron supplements, but some wls can make you malabsorb iron, so you do.  I find that really good PCPs don't know anything about WLS but ask questions, research it because you are their patient, and listen to you. The bad ones have the same knowledge level but think they have nothing else to learn or that you can't know something they don't because you didn't go to med school.  Calcium issues probably won't show up in 5 years. I would get one now, if for no other reason than to get a baseline to measure against in 10 years.
Most Active