Pre-Op Testing

JAADE
on 12/8/11 5:11 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Tomorrow I get my pre-op testing done. I really have no idea what to expect other than it will take 2-3 hours. Blood, GI track exam...I get very nervous when I do not know what to expect so if anyone could tell me in more detail that would be appreciated. I think it will ease my nerves. I have to drive 2 hours there, 2 hours back. Then Monday turn around and do the same thing for my meeting at the the Surgeon center. No clue what that appointment is either. BUT at least after my Monday meeting I will get my surgery date. Closing in on the holidays, so it would be nice to know. My only other wish is that hospitals were better about making all your appointments close together when you live far away. I get it...I just do not like it...

Thanks in advance for ANY input!

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 5:27 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Relax Sweetie,

I swear that you have nothing to worry about...rather boring stuff.... they shove a red hot poker down your throat, and make you drink the stuff that tastes of dead squirrel. After that they run a big fat un-lubricated hose up your hynie and tell you fairy tales.....

You're gonna do great babe...Muahahahaha

Pleasant dreams Sugar Dumpling.

bed-bugs.jpg bed bug
image by xxsilentlyxscreamingxx
JAADE
on 12/8/11 5:43 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Really? Something will go up my butt? I am taking an extra prozac.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 5:49 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Naw, I'm just teasing ya...
Mary Catherine
on 12/8/11 5:32 am
 Preop is usually taking a medical history, bloodwork, chest xray, blood pressure, EKG, and conversation with the anesthesiologist.  It is ridiculous that both appointments are not on the same day.  Bring a list of any previous surgeries and their dates.  Bring a list of any medicines you take and their dosages or just bring all the containers.

I would protest and insist on having pre-op on the same day.  I have never known a hospital to refuse and wonder if you just need to talk to someone at both facilities and get them to help you.

JAADE
on 12/8/11 5:44 am
RNY on 01/31/12
I tried everything to get them both switched. Ridiculous really...I am not really happy and I still have to meet with the dietician too...TRYING to get that on Monday too so I can not make THREE trips. Thanks for your input...I will bring everything!
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 5:52 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
When you print up your list of previous surgeries and medications.... print it up for all your appts as well the admitting department, and one for the nurse who takes your medical history on surgery day. See I canz be helpsfulz...
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 6:02 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
THIS IS JUST WHAT I DO and I'm not a medical expert but it has been my experience with my multiple hospitalizations ( Thank you Lap Band ) every damn time I am given pain medication I itch all over the place and by the time I can get the nurses attention, nurse sends in for doctors orders, waits for doctors orders, gets my meds from pharmacy,......then and only then am I  finally able to get a shot of Benedryl.

So if you have a prior history of nausea and or itchiness, ask your surgeon if he will please write those orders up for you to be taken as needed PRIOR to you getting sliced and diced.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 9:11 am
Because they are doing a pre-op without having surgery scheduled yet, they will probably need to repeat a few labs the day before surgery.  Unfortunately there is no real definite scope for a pre-op.  Each surgeon is different and they often tweak it based on a person's age, co-morbidities, etc.  I had my cardiologist run tests near my home so I didn't have a lot to do when I drove down there.  I still met with the surgeon, went to the hospital for labs and a chest x-ray, he then sent me to an internist in his bldg for another EKG and exam...  Oh yeah, an an ultrasound of my gallbladder.  And he didn't do this to me but he often performed endoscopies prior to surgery.
JAADE
on 12/8/11 7:56 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
Thanks so much for replies! Going inside in just a minute. Pumpkin so glad nothing is entering my butt today. (you got me hook, line and sinker on that one!)
Most Active