Help!!!! I am PreOp doing soft foods

lovelybones11
on 12/11/11 5:17 am
I am PreOp and on soft foods, but I am not sure what that means. I eat oatmeal, and eggs, drink shakes and water and occasionally a yoplait. Is this what I am supposed to be doing? Please help..... I want my surgery to go as great as possible.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 12/11/11 5:33 am
 I don't know of any reason why a pre-op should be on soft foods. you haven't had surgery yet, is that right?

did your surgeon not give you info about what you should be eating?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

MsBatt
on 12/11/11 7:44 am
There's absolutely NO reason to eat 'soft foods' on a pre-op diet. What you need to be doing it eating a LOT of protein, drinking plenty of water, and keeping your carbs as low as possible.  This 'deit' will increase your protein stores, which you'll need for healing after surgry, and reduce the glycogen stores in your liver, making it easier for the surgeon to work around.

Most surgeons do require a clear liquid diet the last couple of days before surgery, and nothing by mouth after, say, 6 PM the day before surgery.
poet_kelly
on 12/11/11 7:45 am - OH
Why are you on soft foods?  Is that what your surgeon advised?  If so, then ask him what that means.  I don't know why he would want you on soft foods before surgery so I have no idea what you are supposed to be doing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/11/11 8:46 am - Burlington County, NJ
Why on earth are you doing that? That's for immediately postop, not for preop.

Amy T.
on 12/11/11 8:53 am - Labadieville, LA
 I am 4 weeks postoperative   Will be one month on Dec. 15.  Had the Pose procedure done in Metarie, La. I had to do liquid diet the day before and special diet after but that is it.
stephanie R.
on 12/11/11 10:36 am, edited 12/11/11 10:36 am - phoenix, AZ
DS on 01/24/12
 well i know my dr, sentr me out infor on my preop andi have too do 2 classes.. my perop is clear liquids and the wonderful protein drinks.. i had to by 3 cans on them for pre surgery and for after surgery. to lat me to my 2 week appt.. i have not had my surgery yet it will be done on January 24,2012..
Manka
on 12/11/11 3:10 pm - Houston, TX
 I have my surgery on the 28th. I have my pre-op appointment on the 14th and I start a two week liquid diet of protein shakes then. I've never heard of anyone have a soft foods diet before surgery.
dori M.
on 12/11/11 3:24 pm - MD
My pre op diet included three 110 calorie protein shakes a day, unlimited raw veggies and 5 servings of any of the following: oatmeal, sf pudding, sf jello, tomato juice. The day b4 surgery @4pm I had 2 stop eating and just do clear until 4pm then start the bowel prep, nothing by mouth after midnight
Suza411
on 12/12/11 12:19 am
If that is all they told you, it sounds very reasonable what you're doing.  Every surgeon/office is different, mine required a 2 week liquid diet before surgery.  I was using the Ultramet shakes by Champion, which were excellent.  I even ended up doing a partial, eating 1 meal a day because I could not tolerate the hunger, but still lost 18 pounds before surgery, it's also supposed to help shrink the liver.  Important to do what your surgeon asks because that is what they are used to operating on working.  Call the office and ask directly.  I also exercised more before surgery, which I believe helped me afterwards; they did not even have to put me in intensive care because my vitals were so good and I was out after 2 days. Just important to take extra good care of yourself now and you'll sail through.  Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.  Best thing I ever did by the way!  : )
Most Active