Several questions - need help please

PeakTek78
on 12/12/11 3:25 am - Liverpool, NY
Hi everyone.  I had my RNY scheduled for 12/20 and went in this morning for my final appointments prior to surgery.  I was shocked to discover that I had gained 20 lbs. since my last appointment in October.  I blame nobody but myself and am quite embarrassed that this happened.  I have no excuses - just made poor decisions and assumed that since I had made my goal weight that I could "let loose" a bit.  Well, I apparently let loose a lot and am now rescheduled for 1/24.

A few questions...

1) I have a work trip scheduled for 2/1 - do you think it will be possible for me to make that trip?  
2) How long did it take you to be "up and around" after your surgery?
3) Any good advice on how to re-lose the weight in order to satisfy the doctor?  

I probably should have come here a long time ago, but this morning was a very rude awakening.  It's obvious that I needed it.  Thank you all in advance for your help.  

M M
on 12/12/11 3:50 am
You might be cutting it very close for a trip.

Consider too, that if you have any post op complications (even simple things....) you may need more time.

Have a back up plan ready.
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 5:23 am - Woodbridge, VA

A business trip a week after surgery? Yikes...I went back to a desk job full-time after 2 full weeks off, and I would not have been able to handle travel on top of that. I didn't have much energy and was still slow to move around much. And I ended up dehydrated about a month out because I wasn't focused enough on my fluids when I went back to work. And I was only 26 when I had my surgery!

kathict
on 12/12/11 6:09 am - West Haven, CT
Please give yourself some time after surgery. You will need it to take care of yourself as you ajust to your new life and getting back your strength.

Follow a low fat, low carb, high protein diet. It will get you ready for surgery and your new life. Start your waikng also, It helped me get in the groove for exercise after surgery.

Kathleen W.
on 12/12/11 9:33 am - Lancaster, PA
Try and reschedule the business trip.  A week after major surgery is just isn't long enough and might cause problems for you. God forbid me for saying this, but would happen if you get an infection or become dehydrated?

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Elizabeth N.
on 12/12/11 9:40 am, edited 12/30/11 8:10 am - Burlington County, NJ

DebsGiz
on 12/12/11 10:12 am - FL

I think there is a big difference between whether you could make the trip, or whether you should make the trip...

As long as you had no problems, you could possibly make the trip, but you're going to be hurting pretty good I suspect.

Having had RNY and having had zero problems from day one, I would still advise you against traveling that soon.  It's just not smart... 
MsBatt
on 12/12/11 10:37 am
Since you're new here, I took a quick look at your profile. It doesn't mention if you have any health issues, other than being SMO. That would be something to consider. I personally would not consider traveling a week post-op---no WAY.

Also---have you researched a form of WLS called the duodenal switch (DS)? Given your BMI, you really owe it to yourself to do so. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the best at resolving or preventing co-morbidities such as diabetes and high cholesterol. And unlike the RNY, the DS causes permanent malabsorption of calories. (The RNY's malabsorption of calories is pretty much gone by 24 months post-op.)

Your surgeon doesn't "do" the DS, so it's quite possible he's not given you complete, accurate info about it. You can learn more about the DS on the DS board here at OH ( www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/ ), and at www.dsfacts.com . I suggest you also check out the Revision board as well: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

Has your surgeon said he won't do surgery on 1/24 unless you lose the 20 pounds you've regained? Because seriously, a weight-loss 'diet' is not the best way to treat your body immediately prior to any sort of surgery. I would recommend eating a high-protein, low-carb, moderate-fat diet, focusing on building up your protein stores to promote post-op healing and reducing the glycogen stores in the liver---not specifically losing weight.
Valerie G.
on 12/13/11 1:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I had a picture-perfect recovery, and found myself very listless for a good 6 weeks.  You just don't know how quickly you'll bounce back, so if that meeting is important that you're traveling for, you may want to reschedule either the meeting or your surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeakTek78
on 12/13/11 1:37 am - Liverpool, NY
I really appreciate everyone's frank, informative and compassionate responses.  I've spoken with my employer and we've agreed that scheduling surgery for 1/24 is appropriate.  We will play by ear the business trip on 2/1, but by no means am I required to attend.  I must say, I was very disappointed yesterday when I wrote this post - but now I'm feeling confident and refocused on what's important.  I'm in higher education, and I always tell students that "life is all about choices," so I think it's important to practice what you preach.  I've obviously made some poor decisions but am committed to correceting that. 

I had a banana for breakfast this morning. :)

Thanks everyone!
Most Active