Ugh.......is my mirror lying, or is it the camera?

Miss_Kitty
on 12/15/11 7:13 am - New Bedford, MA
Has anyone else gone through this?

I pick out a nice outfit, brush my mid-length dark hair into place....look in the mirror and am pretty satisfied with what I see.

I visit friends and family for the holidays and everyone takes pictures. I see the pics later on and Ugh!!!!!  I look so huge!!! And my face is so shiny and red and blotchy, even though I put make up on.

Why are cameras more cruel than mirrors? I know cameras can add 10 lbs, but it seems like it adds 20-30lbs on me!

Maybe I can dress up as Santa. At least it is ok for him to be fat!

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Valerie G.
on 12/15/11 7:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Awww, how disheartening!  
I used to be the same way myself.  I thought I looked damned good, then I caught a gander at a photo of me and oh, the horror!  Are you sure you're just not being too hard on yourself?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DebsGiz
on 12/15/11 11:09 am - FL

Oh, Miss Kitty, I so understand what you're saying.

I prefer to think that I am just not that ugly, but rather am simply not photogenic.  LoL
SweetGirl11
on 12/15/11 2:59 pm
WOW, can I relate to this!!!!!!!

I just got my hair done the other day.  At the salon I thought I looked good when I looked in the mirror.  Then later on when I tried taking a pic of myself, I looked awful!  My face looked pale and sickly, and I thought I just looked horrible.  And my nose is huge.  And I think I look fat.  UGH.

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/15/11 9:54 pm
Can't help with the size.... but red and shiny face - you may be using the wrong makeup. One that looksgood in natural light but it is wrong for the camera. I discovered that by accident. Most natural make up have mica or other natural reflective particles in it so they reflect the light, difuzing it and minimizing our skin flaws. But that works in natural conditions but may look horrible in a picture.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

So Blessed!
on 12/15/11 11:27 pm

Miss Kitty, call a department store and ask them if you can get an appointment for one of their makeup artists give you a makeover.  It's usually free because they want you to buy your makeup there.  I've been to Elder Beerman for this and the young lady there did a fabulous job.  She recommended products that gave me the best coverage and also took the time to show me how to apply them to get the best results. 

Most Active