LOUD tummy noises and hunger 6 months out

CCinIndiana
on 1/6/12 12:11 am - IN
Hi Everyone,

I will be six months out in a couple of days.  I have noticed in the last few weeks I have had a huge increase in hunger.  Prior to that - most of the time I had to remind myself to eat.  Now I actually feel hunger.  At almost the same time my stomach started making lots and lots of gurggling noises, it sounds like a storm is going on inside there.  This happens whether I have eaten or not.  I still take my ppi daily.  I have never had reflux, but noticed in the past that if i accidently forgot my PPI I would have more rumbling (nothing compared to now).  Do you think there is a connection?  If so any suggestions? 

Here is a typical days food for me.  About 1/3 c low fat cottage cheese with no sugar added dole peaches, the little 4oz container.  Lunch a couple of ounces of chicken, a few green beans or somthing  or about 1/2 c chili w/shredded cheese,  Dinner usually chili again, or chicken and maybe a few bites of potatos.  In the past this has kept me full and satisified.  Now I eat and 2 hours later I am hungry.  My weight loss has been pretty consistent until the last couple of weeks.  I have lost  75 lbs.  Christmas I was off work for 2 weeks and definately ate junk I don't usually eat (crackers, pita chips, even some pop corn) , learned what sliders were!!  I am back on track with the no eating between meals and no more pita chips! 

Thanks for any help or feedback.
Cathi
aaaaaaa
on 1/6/12 1:15 am
 Well, I know the gurgling stomach was something that seemed to happen to me for the first 8-9 months on occasion. Hunger returned for me as well around that time. I believe that is very normal for us.  I for certain ate a bit more a day than you are in your post. At six months out, I was around 700-800 calories. I am now at 1200 pretty much every day. I also have always needed to snack every 2-3 hours in between meals. I keep nuts, cheese, protein bars, carrots, etc. on hand for those hungry times so I don't go off and eat the "wrong" things. That isn't to say I never have junk food, but I really try to avoid it by having other things. Maybe you can do this, and perhaps you may need to up your calories just a bit? Good luck.

M M
on 1/6/12 2:14 am
 The noise is normal and will likely last forever.

ChristineB
on 1/6/12 2:30 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
I cannot say that your tummy noises are due to forgetting to take the PPI. It might just be how your anatomy is (re)arranged now.

The feeling of hunger for many comes between 6-9 months PO. Mine came back at about 9 months - tho I do not have the intense hunger that I had before I was rearranged.

Just a suggestion but you might want to "shake  up" your food choices a little to get a little more variety. If you are exercising more than before you might need more protein to help build lean muscle.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Kathy S.
on 1/6/12 7:11 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 I hate to say it but I am 7 plus years out and mine is so loud sometimes I turn the TV or music up  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 8:56 am - Canada
Sounds normal to me - or familar as I experienced much the same thing at 6 months - the end of my "honeymoon period". I started to become hungier and yes taking you acid blocker will help with the girgles. I'm noticing though a lot of beans in your diet which could be causing some upset. If I do not take my acid blocker regularily it actually can give me big problems with my digestion.

A suggestion I have to feel fuller longer is to eat your chicken first, make sure you do not have fluids with your meals. The chicken being a solid and a protein will sustain you longer than chili or potatoes. If you follow up your meal with fluid prior to 1.5 hours after your meal, you will empty your pouch thus speeding up the hunger. Its ok to eat another bite or two two hours after your meal. My dietician had me on 1/4 cup of cottage cheese every two hours as needed. Later on, moving to a piece of fruit once I able to tolerate it.

Congrats on your weightloss and yes watch out for sliders :o)

Deb
Most Active