I'm going bald!!!

Amber74
on 1/13/12 4:48 am - CA
 Hey Y'all....So lets see...I am 4 months and 5 days out from my VSG....I have lost 83 lbs to date and 5-6 sizes....I feel absolutely fabulous and have no complaints. I  am however noticing a dramatic increase in hair loss.....I know it's gonna happen and I know there isn't really anything I can do about it....I was just curious when it might stop.  I am diligent about getting all my protein in, I occasionally miss a vitamin here and there but take those regularly too....Does hydration play a part in hair loss, cause that's the only thing I have trouble getting in....WATER!!! 
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 5:04 am
From a person that is bald by choice and has to work at it...some people have all the luck! 
Amber74
on 1/13/12 5:10 am - CA
 a thud?
I apologize if I offended...but from someone who isn't, it's shocking...

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 5:18 am, edited 1/13/12 5:19 am
HECK NO...I wasn't offended at all...just wish I didn't have to shave my head weekly is all.  (Poor attempt at humor?)
Amber74
on 1/13/12 5:21 am - CA
 Oh ok, whew!!  
rhidunn
on 1/13/12 6:25 am - Annapolis, MD
 You normally lose 10% of your hair on a regular cyclical basis -- because of the rapid weight loss the body is going to sacrifice hair in order to supply critical organs with nutrients thus, you are going to experience loss closer to 30-50% instead of the 10%.  This will happen until your weight and nutrition stabalize.  You can expect the loss to continue through the 1st year but I would expect that you may see a little less loss starting in month 9 or so.  I know I really thought I would end up with nothing but, it did work out.  There are a ton of theories on prevention -- maximize protein, vitamins, topical products -- but I wouldnt say there was solid proof about any of them.  Just be sure to keep you scalp clean, moisturized and make sure you give yourself a good scalp massage at least onece a week to keep the blood flowing.

Congratulations on your 83 pounds and 6 sizes!

Sharyn S.
on 1/13/12 8:00 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
It stops when it stops.  Sorry, can't be more accurate than that.  Usually when you are no longer protein malnourished.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Jolly Rancher
on 1/13/12 8:45 am
It does stop when it stops....and be forewarned....not likely, but it doesn't always come back. My hair is very thin when it was extremely thick before....to the point of needing thinning shears.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
tinamarie_125
on 1/13/12 9:31 am
Mine stopped falling out after about 18 months. It has never been the same sadly. I used to have thick hair and now its pretty thin. sorry you are dealing with this. i know its no fun...but its one of those side effects we have to put up with.
Kim_M
on 1/13/12 10:50 pm - LaPorte, TX
I always had very thick hair and thought I woud be the first to go bald lol,Well I have taken alot of weight off and pretty quickly I think, about 8 months out it really slowed down, I am 10 out and back to normal that is very little in drain .My hair is thinner (alot) I am lovin it a lot of weight off my shoulders it is very acceptable and I notice alot of gray so it is growing back lol.Don't sweat the small things it will all work out,even thou you think you will be the first you won't/ 

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Most Active