Optifast 900 + 11 more days = 1 sad girl

JennaMi77
on 1/23/12 12:33 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
OK, I understand the liver fat thing...I really do...I am on day 5 of no solid food, my legs are aching (don't know if THAT's normal), I have a headache every morning, I can't even smell food without tearing up, and I am gagging down 2 shakes a day at best...I've done three but it didn't 'stick'. Believe me, I am not usually a whiner...but I'm hurting.

Anyone have any tips or tricks. surgery (RNY) is on Feb. 2, and I will suck it up, but coping techniques would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks Peeps...
Leanne1
on 1/23/12 12:53 am - Newmarket, Canada
Hi Jenna

There are many ways to add flavourings to opti-fast. Alot of people add davinci syrups, different "extracts" (rum, almond, peppermint and others). I added cocoa (2tsp) to the vanilla and it tasted like the chocolate
JennaMi77
on 1/23/12 12:57 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Cocoa...I like it! That I will try this evening! 

Thanks Leanne! Much appreciated.
JJ_
on 1/23/12 1:47 am

I had purchased only the Chocolate Optifast.  Each Optifast I made with a minimum of 600 ml of water (so twice the amount recommended on the package), and added ice.  I had a large shaker bottle with a flip lid with a spout to drink it out of.  The first 4 days I would buy a large decaf coffee from Timmies and put it in the fridge for the next serving (added it to my shaker bottle and if necessary topped it up with cold water).  I found the decaf cut the taste.  I didn`t care for any of the other additions and I tried several.

I drank them at 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.  I mixed up my breakfast shake and drank it on the drive to work.  I brought my lunch and dinner shake packages with me to the office as I worked until 5 p.m.  I had made ice cubes in the office freezer and then put them in a plastic bag so I could make more in the ice tray. 

I also drank water or crystal light between each shake.  I also added SF jello along with my lunch shake, and a chicken broth around 2:30 p.m.

As well, it is called Optifast 900, because each shake has 225 calories, and the nutrients so that if you drink all 4 in a day, you have 900 calories consumed and the nutrients to keep your body fueled in order to be ready for surgery.  If you are only drinking two, you may end up being malnourished. - 450 calories a day.

If you are still having difficulties, call your bariatric centre for advice.

Also, visit the Ontario Forum for feedback from other Ontarians:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/a,messageboard/

All the best in your journey.

Judy

JennaMi77
on 1/23/12 2:29 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Thanks Judy,

I absolutely agree that there is some caff withdrawl, but I am going to try spiking tomorrow's breakfast with the timmies decaf, thanks for that suggestion!

I will do my very best to up my dosage with the few tips I've gotten. (I bought a magic bullet blender for the office to TRY and get one in here too.)

Thanks again...
Suzne
on 1/23/12 2:20 am - Weaverville, NC
 Hi Jenna!

You definitely are not getting in enough calories!  That's probably why you have the headaches (also, if you were a coffee drinker you may be withdrawing from caffeine).  

I was actually on the Optifast program at one time.  Sixteen WEEKS of those shakes!  I actually got to like them after a while!  (OK, so I'm a weirdo!)

If you like orange, that is one of my favorite shakes - Orange Crystal Light, Vanilla Optifast, Ice and Water blended together.  Sometimes I even add a touch of Pumpkin Pie Spice to this mixture - it adds a nice flavor to it.  It makes a thicker shake and I like the orange and vanilla flavors.  

Another fave is a Pina Colada Shake:  Vanilla Optifast with Ice and Pineapple and Coconut Extract, blended.   

If you like Chocolate, try adding a touch of Peppermint Extract and Ice. Tastes like a Thin Mint. 

I still make similar shakes now, although I use a different protein now since I can't get the Optifast Shakes. 

Make sure you are drinking the MINIMUM that your nutritionist/surgeon/doctor recommended!  If you do not get enough calories, you will feel sick and hungry the entire time!  You don't want to torture yourself!  That's no fun!

You're on the right track though.  The more you can lose before your RNY, the better off and the healthier you will be going into the surgery.  I'm only 9 weeks out (today!) and it's the best decision I ever made.  I only regret I didn't do it sooner!  

Good luck!  

Blessings!
Suzanne

JennaMi77
on 1/23/12 2:31 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Suzanne,
Thanks for the Mint thin idea...sounds delicious, it looks like I am going to have to do some shopping for my new recipes, retail therapy is always good...

9 weeks out, how are you feeling??

Thanks for sharing.

Take Care!
Suzne
on 1/23/12 3:42 am - Weaverville, NC
 I feel fabulous!  I've lost about 92 pounds (but I lost 60 pounds in 10 weeks before surgery, so my weight loss actually SLOWED after surgery). It had to slow down at some point, right? 

I was petrified going into the RNY - I am not a good medical risk.  Lots of auto-immune problems and I was a brittle diabetic (taking 8 to 10 shots of 2 types of insulin per day, plus oral meds).  I have taken all of 3 shots of Lantus TOTAL since the surgery.  I'm off all other diabetes meds and pretty much off Lantus.  Frankly, I wasn't sure I would come off the table alive, but I had a great surgeon.   He kept me one extra day in the hospital just to make sure I was OK - the next day I was home and off my insulin.  Within a few days of returning home I was also off BP meds.

The worst part (in my opinion) of the recovery was having the stupid drain removed.  EWWW!  Not horribly painful - more gross and uncomfortable than anything.  Once it was out (one week to the day after surgery), I felt MUCH better.  I did get an infection, but it wasn't directly related to surgery. I was dealing with that until about a week ago. It was a BAD infection, so it also affected my weight loss. 

I've been lucky - no problems at all with foods.  At 9 weeks I'm on a regular diet.  Trial and error - I eat what I can tolerate.  If it sits well with me, I can have it.  So far, no problems at all.  I stick to low carb, high protein, low fat (and, of course, low to no sugar) and it seems just fine.  I'm NEVER hungry and have to remind myself constantly to eat.  I'm around food all the time and I just don't want it, period.  It holds no appeal.  I enjoy the food that I eat, but I don't have any cravings for anything - even my former favorites. 

BTW, one of my FAVORITE shake recipes since the surgery was given to our Support Group (if you're not going to one, I highly recommend that you start) by one of the members.  I don't know where she got it.  It's a much tastier version of the Thin Mint Shake.  She uses Cottage Cheese. I use non-fat Greek Yogurt.  

1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (whatever type you decide you like)
1/2 cup NF Chobani Greek Yogurt
Peppermint Extract to taste
1 Tablespoon NF, No Sugar Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
4 ounces water
4 Ice Cubes

This can be made in a blender or shaker.  It makes a nice, thick DELISH shake!  YUM!   30 grams of protein and 140 calories.   It can be used almost immediately post-op.

Good luck with your surgery!  Feel free to send me a Friend Request! Please keep me posted on your progress!

Blessings!
Suzanne

sarah_durso
on 1/23/12 3:55 am
 I lost 160 lbs in 9months in Optifadt. I used the vanilla optifast, then add sugar free pudding mix. Pistachios was Delicious .  Make the shake like normal with Ice and water, then add  3 tablespoons ( or to the taste you like) I'm telling you it's like having dessert. 

lbbbrooks
on 1/23/12 7:06 am - Canada
I was also told I can have low salt broth with my shakes.  I also used water flavorings.

Most Active