X-Post Could this be Dehydration?

xtine
on 1/25/12 1:42 pm - San Jose, CA
For the past couple of days I have been extremely exhausted, headaches at random, very dry mouth and very irritable. Could I be dehydrated? I try so hard to keep up on my water but don't think I am drinking as much as I should be since having a pretty bad cold last week. Any ideas? And if I am dehydrated how to I catch back up on my water?

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

KathyA999
on 1/25/12 3:21 pm
Dehydration can cause the symptoms you're describing.  Pinch the skin on the back of your hand.  If it stands up on its own, you're dehydrated.  If it goes back down quickly, you're probably OK on the hydration front.  (LOL, same test they give cats to see if they're dehydrated, only it's neck skin.)

Get more diligent about getting the liquids in, 64 oz daily at least.  All liquids count, including protein drinks, tea (I count coffee too, it's a myth that it's dehydrating if you drink it regularly), milk, soups and broths, etc.,  and if you're still having symptoms you may need to go to the ER to get IV fluids.

We CAN'T slack off on the water, it's the "oil" that keeps all systems going.  I heard one time, about how long we can go without the three things we need to stay alive:  three minutes, three days, three weeks (air, water, food). 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

ruggie
on 1/25/12 3:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
You could be dehydrated.  Could be a virus too.

You need to be aware of how much liquid you take in.  Dehydration will slow your weight loss, and then provide you with pains as you've listed, and then will hospitalize you.

Drink no less than 2 liters / 64 ounces a day.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/25/12 6:57 pm - Burleson, TX

You have recieved some good advice. I'd just like to add some mom/nurse "clucking" of my own..

Thirst is the first, basic sign of simple dehydration. The other signs you mentioned (exhaustion, headache, etc) can be signs of more SERIOUS, advanced dehydration-esp in someone only 2 months out.

Dehyration is nothing to play with. Having a "cold", last week, no doubt played havoc with your system. PLEASE promise us you will at least CALL YOUR DOCTOR-as soon the office opens this morning-talk to the nurse-not the receptionist-and tell he/she ALL your symptoms-be proactive-this is your HEALTH..

Ok..clucking over..please check back in, and update when you can. You never know who will be reading, and learning--from YOU !

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

xtine
on 1/26/12 2:00 pm - San Jose, CA
I went to the ER this morning and they said that I was indeed dehydrated and also that they didn't like my blood sugar levels so I am back on my Metformin. Thanks for all the help and replies.

Miss Liss
on 1/26/12 3:08 am

You got some really good solid responses.  I just wanted to add that by the time I had the symptoms of more severe dehydration I was unable to get rehydrated on my own due to being so early out and having such a small capacity to hold much at once.  I had to go to the ER and get a few bags of fluids to get me back where I needed to be.  Then I was able to maintain it.  I was about as far out as you are when that happened to me, and I had been fighting a cold and sinus infection. 

xtine
on 1/26/12 2:00 pm - San Jose, CA
I went to the ER this morning and they said that I was indeed dehydrated and also that they didn't like my blood sugar levels so I am back on my Metformin. Thanks for all the help and replies.

Most Active