Best and worst breakfast cereals...........

Miss_Kitty
on 1/30/12 1:42 am - New Bedford, MA
Ok......this is off topic, but I'm bored and found this to be interesting. I am guilty of liking allot of the kiddie cereals........

Best & Worst Breakfast Cereals

posted @6:00am ET on January 30, 2012
Rate: TerribleRate: OkayRate: AverageRate: Pretty goodRate: Excellent    (35 votes)
Send to a friend Save as Favorite Print this post   Not all breakfast cereals are created equal.

Some claim to be high in whole grains and fiber, to be a good source of vitamins and minerals, and to be good for your heart and cholesterol. Others however just want you to see their "wacky" cartoon characters and "fun" shapes and colors.

The biggest differences can be found in the nutrition information.

The following rankings come from a side-by-side comparison of over 50 of the most popular breakfast cereals from Post, Kellogg's, General Mills and more.

The original research and feature was done by www.acaloriecounter.com. I thought it would make a good eye-opener for you!

The Best Breakfast Cereals

Here are the cereals that came across as being the most healthy. To be considered, they had to contain absolutely no trans fat. Second, they had to contain no saturated fat. Third, they had to contain little to no sugar. Then, fiber content was taken into account.

Protein content and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) were also considered.

* Cheerios (General Mills)
* Shredded Wheat (Post)
* Fiber One (General Mills)
* Grape Nuts (Post)
* Wheaties (General Mills)
* Total (General Mills)
* GOLEAN Cereal (Kashi)
* All-Bran (Kellogg's)
* Wheat Chex (General Mills)

The Worst Breakfast Cereals

Any cereal that contained trans fat was automatically added to this list, as trans fat is easily the most unhealthy ingredient a cereal could have. Every cereal that contained 10 or more grams of sugar per serving (sugar which didn't come from actual fruit) made this list as well.

* Honey Smacks (Kellogg's)
* Corn Pops (Kellogg's)
* Apple Jacks (Kellogg's)
* Franken Berry (General Mills)
* Trix (General Mills)
* Eggo Cereal Maple Syrup (Kellogg's)
* Basic 4 (General Mills)
* Smorz (Kellogg's)
* Oreo O's (Post)
* Froot Loops (Kellogg's)
* Cocoa Puffs (General Mills)
* Count Chocula (General Mills)
* Waffle Crisp (Post)
* Reese's Puffs (General Mills)
* Mini-Swirlz Cinnamon Bun (Kellogg's)
* Frosted Krispies (Kellogg's)
* Cocoa Pebbles (Post)
* Fruity Pebbles (Post)
* Cookie Crisp (General Mills)
* Frosted Flakes (Kellogg's)
* Golden Grahams (General Mills)
* Lucky Charms (General Mills)
* Rice Krispies Treats Cereal (Kellogg's)

NOTE: There were over 50 cereals in this comparison; a good portion of them didn't make the best or worst list. What that means is that none of those cereals fit the description of being either the VERY best, or the VERY worst. This doesn't mean they are healthy, and this doesn't mean they are unhealthy. It just means that they aren't at the very top in either category.

For more information check out http://www.acaloriecounter.com/breakfast-cereal.php

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

BethR311
on 1/30/12 7:37 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Basically no cereal is good, they all have too many carbs. I know some of them are fiber, but I want to get my fiber from beans, veggies and some fruits.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
MacMadame
on 1/30/12 11:42 am - Northern, CA
There's a cereal made from Oreos? Good grief.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

jkjstars123
on 1/30/12 8:26 pm - Tama, IA
Sometimes I like to eat Kay's Natural protein cereal without milk. You have to order it on line.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 8:35 pm, edited 1/30/12 8:35 pm
I'm not into cereal just because I think ( this ) obese person's diet was Way too full of grains . I prefer to eat my carbs in their FRESH high fiber original form now ...

ie as fruits and vegetables .

That said I was seriously ADDICTED at the beginning of my journey and snacked a few times on Kashi high protein cereals and shredded wheat pillows .

It makes it EASIER and less addictive if you add plain nonfat yogurt rather than skim milk ...

I would TOTALLY watch out for Raisin Bran ... that stuff is ridiculously high corn syrup and delicious .. and the pesticide levels in the raisins are outrageous ..

then again its a great way to yank yer chain if ya need yankin'..

nccarolinagirl
on 1/30/12 9:10 pm - Liberty, NC
Oh no!
:(
I just bought this the other day and have been eating. :(
Im anemic so I need something that has iron and thought this would help.

Any healthier recomendations. Please dont suggest milk since I have to do soy now.

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 10:00 pm
 You're really early  out  NC right ?   So I wouldn't worry  that much .   Trying to  be too in control in the beginning  may lead to rebellion in the ranks  a little later ...  and regain.   

Just love yourself ,understand the  reasons you make the choices U make ...  and try to push  Urself in a better direction .   The MOST important thing is starting daily exercise in my opinion ... 

hug 
nccarolinagirl
on 1/31/12 12:31 am - Liberty, NC
No ma'm I had my surgery in 2002 but started back with the rules.

MsBatt
on 1/31/12 11:36 am
In my opinion, there is not such thing as a 'good' breakfast cereal, nor can there ever be.

Now, I'm not saying some of them aren't tasty---but eating carbs for breakfast??? That's a sure-fire way for ME to crave carbs all day long.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/12 3:57 am
you are so right on the subject.  Any carbs early on and I get hungry all day...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active