Petition to have skin removal surgery covered by our provincial medical care plan.

tlr681
on 2/15/12 10:34 pm - Canada

Hi, I am from Newfoundland Canada and had WLS in October 2011.  This surgery is new to our province and currently surgery to cover excess skin removal is not covered.  Please take a moment to sign this online petition to have skin removal surgery covered by our provincial medical care plan.

MCP Coverage For the Removal of Excess Skin Following Extreme Weight Loss

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/mcp-coverage-for-the-remova l-of-excess-skin-following-extreme-weight-loss/ 
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
Cathrine J.
on 2/16/12 2:04 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
I signed.  There were about 279 signatures so far I think.

I'm not sure whether excess skin removal is covered in our province, BC, either.  I think the pannus removal is but surgeons receive such a small payment for doing it ($550?) that most don't bother.  Of course, you must show a history of infections and stuff, too. 

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

tlr681
on 2/16/12 9:01 pm - Canada
Thanks Cathrine.  I was a member of a forum in BC for a couple of years and I think you are right.  Here in Newfoundland they only started doing WLS in May of 2011.  I was actually the 11th person to get the surgery here.  We were all given the impression that when the time came that if skin removal was required due to infections etc that the portion that was medically necessary would be covered.  However in the last few months there has been a lot of medical coverage of a person who had lost well over 100 lbs on his own.  He was referred for skin removal surgery due to chronic skin infections and was turned down.  He has had a long fight but its beginning to look now like he might get the surgery he needs.  Those of us here who have had WLS are not to the point of getting surgery yet although one has had a consultation.  We are trying to be proactive and get this issue cleared up so when the time comes for us that the goverment policies are already in place regarding this issue.  Once again thank you for signing our petition.
   Tina         
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
steff1970
on 2/16/12 10:35 pm - cambridge , Canada
RNY on 07/09/12
 Hello there, have you tried posting this on the Ontario Forum?

The Ontario Forum has alot of people on it and maybe we can help with signing?

Congratulations on your surgery i hope everything goes well for you on this awesome journey, how was the wait time for you? Ontario has really different wait times depending on what centre you go to.  I am going throught Guelph and it has the longest wait time for surgery as i'm approaching a little over 2 years by the time i get into actually having surgery.  There are alot of tests we have to go through, so i find it interesting how other provinces handle these things, any information you are willing to share would be wonderful.

All the best to you,

Steff

REFFERAL.....APRIL 2010    ORIENTATION.....JULY 14, 2011       SURGERY.....JULY 9, 2012                            

tlr681
on 2/16/12 11:49 pm - Canada
I was really luck and got my referral in with 2 weeks of when they started the list.  My referral went in in Feb 2011 and I was done in Oct 2011.  Now the wait list is about 2 years.  Right now we have to have a sleep study, ekg, chest xray, 2 week trial liquid diet, and attend an information session.  There is a Nurse Practitioner in charge of the program who works side by side with the surgeon and there is also a Dietition dedicated to the program.  It is a constantly evolving program right now as they are learning as they go.
   Tina         
cedarstar
on 2/20/12 6:34 am, edited 2/20/12 6:35 am - Manitoba, Canada
Signed! 313 signatures... I fully support this! I am hoping that come the time that the province I live in will at least cover a panni. I have lost a total of 75 lbs including before surgery and although I don't have an extreme amount of skin I am having bright red, painful rashes. I will document every rash and keep record at my doctor's so hopefully come the time it will be covered. Good Luck! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

tlr681
on 2/20/12 7:41 am - Canada
Thanks Cedarstar.  Every signature helps!
   Tina         
Most Active