bowel movements after surgery

smalls76
on 3/15/12 10:45 am
I am only two days post op and was released from the hospital today. I have been passing gas regularly. Tonight I had a bowel movement and what concerned me was it was just liquid stool. Has anyone else experienced this. Friends that have had the procedure don't remember. Can anyone ease my mind?
Jack_Fabulous
on 3/15/12 2:25 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
 This is normal.  After all, you are not taking in any fiber and you are only drinking your meals.  It is also common to go a few days without a BM.

mirlyn2012
on 3/15/12 2:45 pm - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 My first week of stools were watery and oily. 
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
Machita
on 3/15/12 3:04 pm - MN
 For several says I had this too.  The nurse told me it would be nearly black and is dried blood in intestines from surgery, but that's likely only RNY.  I didn't get normal until full liquids. 

ND2BTHN
on 3/15/12 11:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Well my first 3 weeks was only water stools, every few days. What goes in, is what goes out.  Since I was on a liquid diet for 20 days, that was to be expected. Once I started mushies and then solids everything began to solidify. Now at 2 months out, on solid foods I have constipation, and can go 4 days without a movement, and notice that I start gaining a bit. At that time I have to resort to a laxative to help break things up. Once I finally go again, I lose 1.5lbs of waste. I am going to start adding in a fiber supplement to help keep this from continuing. I know it is caused from eating only meat and high protein foods, and not enough vegetables to keep things regular. I also struggled from getting in the required 64oz's of liquid, which also contributed to the back up. I am working on that and and can now get in 56oz's so I am almost there.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Valerie G.
on 3/16/12 2:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I'm sure you haven't eaten much if any solid foods.  Liquid stools just make sense.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JFinn
on 3/17/12 8:22 am - AK
RNY on 02/29/12

I had my bypass on Feb 29th.  the same thing happened to me.  I now go a day or two without  a bm.  It is really very normal!

Cheryl C.
on 3/19/12 12:57 pm - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
two days out....if I even TRIED to pass gas, I'd be rinsing my sweats out in the sink.  It was quite interesting.  It took about a week for things to get to the point where I was comfortable leaving the house!!!  My kids teased my about needing Depends.  It's normal.  It will get better.  Like one of the others said, what goes in, must come out!  Just be careful....when you think you're comfortably pushing out a fart, you can be taken by surprise!!!!

Good luck!

Cher    

cgabaldon
on 8/11/12 5:44 am
I am 5 months out from surgery, and I have yet to find anyone who has the problem I have, which is just the opposite of everyone else.  I recall having constipation only once.  More than half the time my stools are very loose, close to diarrhea.  The rest of the time they firm up somewhat, but are not "normal".  I have at least one bm a day, but frequently have at least two, and sometimes 3-4.  They come fast, too.  I had better be close to a bathroom!  I've wondered if I have irritable bowel syndrome, but I don't match up with all of the symptoms, especially the pain.  I don't have pain.

Any ideas?
Mareseatoats
on 8/11/12 5:50 am
Have you asked your doctor about this?  If your diet is mostly liquids (shakes, puddings etc.) your stool will also be mostly liquid.  I'd ask if I could try some fiber such as Benefiber, to help thicken things up.  Most of us a really below what we need in fiber anyway because of our reduced diets and the fact that we don't eat much fruits and veggies...especially raw!!!  Good luck.
VSG on 5/23/12
SW: 315; Preop wt:  255

Most Active