Post Venofer IV's, where's the energy?

Carolyn H.
on 3/19/12 10:10 am
 Hi All,

I just had my fifth venofer (iron) IV for treatment of anemia. I am 3 1/2 years post RNY. My energy has come up slightly. My chest pain, shortness of breath has resolved. Has anyone else been through this? My question is: how long does it take to get one's energy levels returned to normal? I have been tired for so very long. I am tired of being tired!!! My hemotologist says I can't absorb iron orally anymore (due to RNY) and that taking iron orally is a waste. Is that true? 

Thanks!!!
Have a great day!                        
rbb825
on 3/19/12 5:01 pm - Suffern, NY
do you know what your ferritin is at this point after your IV infusions?

You say you cant absorb any irons because of your RNY - what irons have you tried?  Many hematologists give patients prescription iron and ferrious irons which we can't absorb and they say we cant' absorb any iron.  They dont' know about a type of iron that we can absorb called carbonyl iron which is absorbable by RNY patients - you can get it at vitalady.com it comes in 60mg capsules called tender irons  and depending on what your ferritin and iron level is, would determine how many you need to take per day.  Most take 3-5 at a time and it comes with the vitamin C already in the capsules.  It is pretty cheap - it is like $35 for 400.  You need to make sure you dont take it within 2-4 hours of any calcium or thyroid medication or you wont absorb it.

If you try this, you might actually be able to absorb oral iron.  I was one of those that couldnt' absorb oral iron either and had to get IV iron but am allergic to IV iron, so I had to find an alternative - I found these.  IT was great.  The next alternative if these dont work is heme iron called proferrin, it is a totally different type of iron.  YOu have to break it is half - and you can't take it with the tender  irons.  Many take anywhere from 2-3 of these.

I find most get great results with just the tenders but a few need to add the proferrin also but much easier than having to go an IV every week -

Carolyn H.
on 3/20/12 9:38 am
 Hi! 
Thanks for your helpful comment. It was my hematologist that said I can no long absorb iron orally, I don't think that's a true statement, do you? If that was the case,then  every person who has undergone a RNY would need iron infusions, right? What do you think about the validity of his statement?
Thanks!
Have a great day!                        
Carolyn H.
on 3/20/12 9:39 am
 He's not going to recheck my ferritin for another month. So no, I don't know what it is post IV's yet.
Have a great day!                        
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/12 1:36 am

Mime also has the same view.
I took iron supplemnts for 2 years.  Then my ferritin dropped to 10... The following year I took a lot of iron. The side effects were not nice (cramps, constipation, pain, etc). I even took a lot of heme iron - profferrin.  My iron not improved.  I may have benefited some from oral supplements but not enough to justify taking them considering the side effects.  Considering that - my hematologist told me to not to use any - and just relay on food (red meats) and infusions.

I took the supplement for 3 years.  And my ferritin dropped during that time from 100 to 10...  I got infusions last year. Got it back to 90... And keeping it that way. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Carolyn H.
on 3/20/12 9:40 am
 How long did it take after you had iron infustions for your energy to return to normal?
Thanks!! 
Have a great day!                        
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/12 11:07 am
Approximately one month. My ferritin went up to 95 ..
But at the same time I try to keep my B12 close or abouve 1000. When my B12 drpps below 800 I can feel it.
Also I try to keep my proteins 7+ and D 80+...
All of those make a difference.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active