I feel....the same

AlyRaeMc
on 4/14/12 9:00 am - Jay, NY
RNY on 04/04/12
 I am a bit confused!! I am 10 days post RNY. Everything went amazing and I've been recovering nicely. My concern at this point is....I expected nausea, fullness, discomfort etc from eating....now granted, I am still on liquids (strained cream soups, jello, protein shakes, yogurts) which is for 2 weeks post, then I begin purees. I am by no means upset that I've felt so great, but im trying to "read" my body and it feels exactly the same?! I don't feel rerouted! I still feel hungry, and I drink my fluids normal (not tiny sips) I am following my doctors orders, no problems with vitamins either. I am following my dietitian exactly, and I am loosing. (who wouldn't loose if all they ate is soup and yogurt!) I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal! I really expected to feel full...or sick if I eat to fast....I feel....so....normal :/ I'm worried about when I begin solids, that I will still feel like this with no restrictions! Help!! Oh my follow up is this thurs so I'll get to speak to my surgeon as well. 

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 4/14/12 9:07 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I feel the same way , wonder if the doc did anything except take out my band :)
I think we should count our blessings , i too can drink all my watter, and soups etc. when real food starts it may be different

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

AlyRaeMc
on 4/14/12 9:09 am - Jay, NY
RNY on 04/04/12
 I'm counting my blessings as well! We are all joking that maybe he opens me up....forgot why he went in...and closed me back up! I expected something so different! 
Mary Catherine
on 4/14/12 9:12 am
 You did great and it gets better.  That initial hunger went away for me very quickly when I started on solids.  I did not eat many solids for about three months, but that was back in 2007.  I expected to feel rerouted too.  Then I realized that I never knew how my insides were arranged and did not feel any different.  I could drink a lot of water at one time after week one.  

I still fill up very quickly on meats or fish.  I have lot all of my weight.  I had a period of regain and finally got a handle on that and got down to my goal again.  I still feel pretty normal.  I know if I eat a little too much that I will start getting a runny nose, sneezing, and might vomit if I don't stop.  You will learn to read your body and listen to its signals.  

I worried so much before surgery and afterwards wondered what all the worrying was for.  RNY is a great experience.  Enjoy it.  One piece of advise that I offer is daily weighing.  Not just now, but for life.  It is a lot of fun to watch the scale go down at first.  It is still great to see it stay down.  People who don't weigh daily have a tendency to go into denial and rarely stay at their goal weight.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/14/12 9:22 am
Don't worry you will feel it when you screw up and do something wrong.  I never felt bad in the beginning except for being able to feel liquids flowing through my intestines like I was some sort of leaky faucet.  But honestly I never tested the water at all, did everything perfectly, eventually I ate a bit too much or the wrong thing.  I still can only eat around a cup or so of food at a time at 7 years out.

Don't worry and enjoy.
karianne
on 4/14/12 10:18 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
LOL I feel the same way!  I am 9 days post op and feel like nothing is different!  I am on soft food and I'm measuring so I don't over eat but I'm having no issue.  It feels like I could just keep eating and eating but of course I'm not-hence the measuring. 

I just told my husband today-jeez did they take out the band and forget to revise to a bypass.  I'm figuring once I'm healed and off of "slider" foods I'll get the full feeling!!

Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Lisa S.
on 4/15/12 11:43 am - Lexington, NC
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/14/12
That's so funny that you said that. I felt the same way. I thought, maybe they just poked a couple of holes and closed me back up (this was after my 2nd surgery). Then I got to thinking, since I had a problem, I wonder if they revised me back and didn't tell me. BUT....then one night, I decided to drink while I ate. Let's just say HUGE .... let me repeat ... HUGE mistake. I didn't throw up (although, I wish I had)...but I laid on my side in agony for about an hour. Since then, my body reminds me that I have had the surgery. I can still only eat about 2 oz every 2-3 hours (between that time I'm drinking constantly). To me, if you aren't feeling any pain, nausea or discomfort, that says you are doing exactly like you were told. GOOD JOB!

Take care and good luck on continued success!!
luvlif2much2011
on 4/15/12 12:16 pm
I questioned my surgery also. My mom also had the RNY. She has had all the crappy things going on. Like what we hear most people going through. Me on the other hand has felt nothing. I keep all my food down and tolerate it very well. I even stepped on the scale and it read 6lbs los t from last week. My appointment is Thursday and I will be asking the doctor is this sometimes normal.
Jackie McGee
on 4/15/12 12:58 pm - PA
I imagine he'll tell you that having no complications is normal and to consider yourself very lucky.

The abnormal part is when things go wrong, and just because there are quite a few people talking about feeling like crap on this site doesn't make it the norm.

Consider yourself very VERY lucky, and congrats to you.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Most Active