Preop Diet and Discourgaged!

Christy L.
on 4/17/12 9:43 am - TN
I am scheduled for my surgery next Tuesday the 24th.  I am supposed to be on all liquids (protein) between now and then.  I really don't think I can do it!!!  If I could follow this strict of a diet then I wouldn't be so overweight! I just really don't think I can do it and have almost considered cancelling my surgery and just forgetting the whole thing.  It may seem silly, but it is just how I feel and I needed to tell SOMEONE!  If I drink one more protein shake today I'm gonna scream!

zakoh02
on 4/17/12 9:58 am - CA
 It doesn't seem silly to me. I am feeling the same way right now. I don't have any advice. I just want you to know that you are not alone.
Nixie76
on 4/17/12 10:02 am
RNY on 04/10/12
I promise you you CAN do it. I drank four to five shakes a day, sometimes mixed with water and sometimes with skim milk. While i wasn't delighted by it, i found the high protien actually kept me from ever being really truley starving. And nobody could continue a diet of only shakes indefinitely which is why there is light at the end of the tunnel (your surgery!!) The only thing that kept me on track pre-op was the thought that i would ruin the previous six months worth of effort, testing, evaluations, paperwork etc just because of two weeks? Think about how you could begin your rebirth to a healthier you , not as a punishment. I weighed myself the morning of starting the preop diet and made a kind of game of it. I wanted to see how much weight i xouls lose before surgery day. Ilost 10.5 lbs in those two weeks. The first day of preop i also took my " before" photos. That was also a huge motivator for me because i was tired of dreading any photo i wound up in. Now every photo of me will show someone healthier than i was on that first day. Keep your chin up!! Good luck to you!! - Nicole
-"Make the decision, then do something - no matter how small - toward accomplishing what you want"-
-"What would you attempt, if you knew you could not fail?"-

NomoreXL
on 4/17/12 10:09 am
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Oh No!!! This is a really bad time...but remember this too shall past. ....It is temporary . And you can do it!!!!!   And I will need  you to say this to me next week ,because  I am going to be in the same position next week.   You can have sugar free popcicles& sugar free jello  to, hope that helps=)   YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!                                                       - Michelle
NomoreXL

MrsLitch
on 4/17/12 10:55 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
You can do it. You can do anything you set your mind to I don't know you but I believe in you.

It's much harder when we sit and think about it. Find a good book rent some movies do something to keep  your mind from thinking about the diet you are on.

It's a week you can do anything for one week.... just keep repeating that over and over and over and before you know it it will be over.
Christy L.
on 4/17/12 11:16 am - TN
Thank you to everyone!  I'm just so 'over it' today.  Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure I'll be more positive in the morning.  Thanks so much to everyone for their encourgaging words.  I can do this, just 6 more days!!!
Barbara1965
on 4/17/12 11:49 am - Weedsport, NY
RNY on 06/11/12
     I feel exactly the same way. My surgery is scheduled for June 11th and I'm afraid of that too. You are definitely not alone. No advice here either but please don't give up! :)
BigJohnny09
on 4/17/12 12:02 pm
RNY on 04/10/12
Dear Pre-Ops,

I am six day out of surgery. The 10 days prior were also protein only. But when you get down, look at your goals. I encourage you to have goals that you want the surgery to assist you in achieving.

I did not do the straight protein shake until I had to, I had always mixed with fruit.  I was real successful pre-surgery. 76 pounds in 3 months, so I didnt want this part to ruin all that I had gained.

I went to elementary school, that is, cut out magazine pics of stuff I wanted to do when I lose my second body(and even that one would be overweight).  That was my secondary motivator. I passed all my free time with my 3 year old princess. She is the motivation, my reason for living. I want to fit on rides, wear nice clothes, ride bikes with her, run and catch her. So find your motivator.

Dont cancel, dont lose hope, remember that thousands went through this path with you. Remember the reason for the shake diet. You are shrinking your liver that sits upon your stomach. The smaller it is, the less bloodier it is!  This makes it safer for you.

One thing I did to help mego through it, was experiment with flavors. I did 1.5 scoops of powder, that made it thicker. I did ice water!  Another thing i try Isopure protein water. That alloweds me variety in my taste.

We all went through this, and we feed off each other, so take one for our team and help us achieve the goals of being thinner and healthier.

SI SE PUEDE...(Yes you can).

I hope this helps and just fill your time, to get your mind off if it. I went to new parks, new stores, played board games, and reached out to others to fill my time.

Good Luck

goddessgrrl
on 4/17/12 12:42 pm - VA
"I went to elementary school, that is, cut out magazine pics of stuff I wanted to do when I lose my second body(and even that one would be overweight).  That was my secondary motivator. I passed all my free time with my 3 year old princess. She is the motivation, my reason for living. I want to fit on rides, wear nice clothes, ride bikes with her, run and catch her. So find your motivator."

WOW! That is such a great idea. I made a "vision board" in 2000 (can't believe it was that long ago). Found it the other day & was STUNNED at how much of it I've accomplished! Now I need to make another one.

Welcome to OH! Keep us posted on your journey, Johnny!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

outlawmaiden
on 4/17/12 12:27 pm - KY
 i was in your shoes not to long ago. i had surgery on the 12th of april. I thouth the same thing. Got so tired of shakes. you have to remember why you are doing this. i didn't think my surgery day would ever be here. i just kept thinking of all the advantages of doing this. you can get through the pre-op and  the post-op. you are strong and u can do this. don't give  up now. let me know how everything goes. sending alot of good thoughts your way.
Most Active