New and looking for support

TawnyaWebb
on 4/21/12 5:45 am - Spokane, WA
RNY on 08/07/12
 I am new and looking for support. I have been researching the RNY for several months. I finally went to a wls informational seminar the 5th of this month and decided to go to the support group the doctors office offers as well. Yesterday I got the call that I meet with the surgeon for the first consultation which will be an hour long. I am looking for support here online besides the support group they have at the office. I am 5'2, 266 pounds with a bmi of 48.7. I have decided to go RNY because my sister had the lapband and has gained weight back. I see her eating ice cream and I do not want to be able to do that, I want to be held accountable for my actions and my insurance will not cover the sleeve. Please friend me and help with support along my new journey.
----Tawnya
poet_kelly
on 4/21/12 5:58 am - OH
Most people with RNY can eat ice cream, you know.  About 30% of RNY folks have dumping syndrome if they eat too much sugar, but they can still eat small amounts of regular ice cream and lots of no sugar added ice cream.  But most RNY folks could eat a lot of regular ice cream.  Hopefully when you meet with the surgeon, he or she can explain more about how RNY works - and what it won't do for you.

I had RNY and lost almost 150 pounds and I think it's a great surgery.  It's just important to understand what it will and won't do for you.  A lot of people seem to think it will force them to make good food choices, and it doesn't do that.

Come on over to the RNY forum.  You can learn a lot there and the people there are really nice and supportive.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dawn_117
on 4/21/12 1:04 pm
RNY on 07/24/12
The RNY forum?  I thought that's what this was?
poet_kelly
on 4/21/12 1:06 pm - OH
Nope.  See how it says "main forum" at the top?  This is the main board, for people to discuss all different weight loss surgeries.

The RNY forum is here: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/21/12 5:58 am, edited 4/21/12 5:59 am - Windsor, Canada
 Being accountable for what you eat has nothing to do with the surgery you choose.   Don't count on dumping.    Many of us don't dump and for those that do dump it is typically short-lived.
I was hoping I'd dump....nope.  I am still accountable for what I put in my body.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

beemerbeeper
on 4/21/12 6:35 am - AL
Make sure you have researched ALL the weight loss surgery options available today.  The Duodenal Switch is the surgery that has the best statistics for everything they measure for surgery success including most weight lost and least regain over time.

Check out the failed surgery forum, the revision forum, and the DS forum.  Also for more info you can go to www.dsfacts.com.

~Becky

ruggie
on 4/21/12 10:57 am - Sacramento, CA
I think people are right to point out that the surgery is really a secondard tool to help us - your compliance to a diet is the main tool.  The surgery helps us during our weak moments.  None of these surgeries will prevent you from eating ice cream, except that the RnY might make you ill from eating ice cream - or might not.  If you troll this forum, there's plenty of people that post about "I'm not getting to my goal weight" no matter which surgery they had, or "I regained a lot of my weight" no matter which surgery they had.

Having any of the 4 common WL surgeries is also about the committment to live your life differently - if you want to get down to your goal weight.

Remember, only you - not your surgery - can hold you accountable for your actions.

Good luck on deciding on your surgery, and good luck on your journey!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Cherokeesage
on 4/21/12 4:57 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Get educated on all the surgery options.  I had the band in 2008 and was the perfect pt but it slipped and became a nightmare.  I chose to get the RNY because I felt it was what I needed.  I avoided it the first time because it is a life long change to my body.   There are people who gain their wt back on all the surgeries and there are people with horror stories on any one of them.  I prayed over my decision and went in with total peace of mind.  I'm 8 wks out and thus far am problem free.  I am very relieved to have the band out as I was in a lot of pain.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active