New and looking for support

Johnnystarship
on 4/22/12 1:06 am
RNY on 04/17/12
 My wife had laparoscopic RNY Tuesday. Things have been hard since she got home. She's at the "what was I thinking" phase and is complaining a lot about gas under her left breast. She's having a hard time of it and isn't really wanting to reach out to anyone. I vacant take on all this. I cry because I want her to be happy and healthy. Not in pain and depressed. Her body is going through a huge change and I don't know what to do I'm crying sporadically now because I feel powerless to help her. Has anyone been through this? Does everyone go through this in some way? I just want someone to quelch our fears and tell us everything is going to be perfect.
JudiJudi T
on 4/22/12 3:24 am
Sorry to hear your wife is going through this but, yes, it's very, very common.  We call it buyer's remorse.  The gas should pass shortly, if she does a lot of walking it should help it go.  Have her walk about 5 to 10 minutes every hour - even if it's just circles in the living room.  Things will get better for her.  I think the first six weeks are the hardest - so many changes to deal with.  You can always call your surgeon too - that's what you've paid for!    Best of luck!  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

ruggie
on 4/22/12 7:03 am - Sacramento, CA
Everything sucks at this point.  You just have to have faith that every day will be better than the day before.

Break OUT of that mode she's in of not reaching out:

-Call the surgeon, PA, nutriionist so she can get their reassurance
-Attend a local WLS support group meeting so she can hear from other patients who can relate to her
-Have her post her feelings on here - we'll be here to support her.

This is a tough, trying time - but encourage your wife to not go the course alone - same with you. 

It's not going to be perfect.  But it's going to get much, much better.  In a week things will be dramatically improved.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

loretta cowels
on 4/22/12 10:06 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
My surgery was on monday I understand how your wife is feeling its scary and you dont want to talk about it because most of us did this out of are own despration to be healthy. If shed feel better talking to some one who is down her same walk right now email me and i can call and we can help each other with this roller coster time. Loretta
highlyblessed1
on 4/22/12 2:38 pm - AL
DS on 04/16/12
My surgery was on Monday and I had pain under my breast and right shoulder blade. It's from the gas they pump into you during surgery. Today, 7 days later, the pain subsided. I was relieved. We've
had major surgery, it takes time for our body to adjust to a new gut system. Give it some time and it will get better. Sip, walk, rest! That's all she should be concerned with right now. Be grateful for the opportunity of a new healthier life that so many wish they could have. 

God Bless.
Johnnystarship
on 4/23/12 2:57 am
RNY on 04/17/12
 Thank you all for your kind words. My wife hasn't been getting very better she is having major withdrawals from food. I try to keep telling her soon enough we will be able to eat good healthy meals together. But all she says is how she regrets doing this and hates herself now. I called the bariatric place and set up an appointment with the psychologist tomorrow hoping that will help. Our anxiety levels are through the roof...
Most Active