Quest bars

mtnwoman04
on 4/28/12 11:18 am - Blairsville, GA
Does anyone use protein shakes and Quest bars for all protein for the day?  and drink lots of water sugar free kool aide ?
How many Quest bars a day? 
Thanks for any info
bryant_w
on 4/28/12 11:26 am - NY
Well, the most of us who blog daily on the BOTTS board use them daily.  Speaking for myself I taken in 52 grams of protein which is two scoops of my protein powder in the morning right after my moring workout around 7am.  I have a quest bar from my morning snack to keep me going only one per day because they give me gas (I now chew one beano tablet right before).  However, for my afternoon snack at work I have a Balance Protein Bar and a cup of coffee and if I am having a suger fit after 8pm in the evening I have a Atkins Protein Bar because there so much like a candy bar to me.

I hope this helps.
mtnwoman04
on 4/28/12 11:44 am - Blairsville, GA
Thank You so much for the reply sometimes I eat 3 all natural Quest bars a day and drink two protein shakes with unsweet almond mile Unjury chocolate with pb2 and dont eat much else just wanted to make sure this was ok sounds like it is
Good luck on your journey and thanks again for the info
rocky513
on 4/28/12 1:29 pm - WI
Are you eating "real" food too?  The only thing that would concern me is that you are not using the "honeymoon" period to learn new eating habits.  It is really important to teach yourself new, healthy eating habits early out.  Most doctors want WLS patients to try to get most of their protein using dense proteins.  When your hunger returns in a few months, dense proteins ( like chicken and beef) will keep you feeling full longer and help you to not over eat.  Protein suppliments should be used early out when your pouch is so small that you can not eat enough protein to reach the required 60 to 80 grams.  You really should be striving to find a healthy, balanced eating plan. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mtnwoman04
on 4/28/12 1:45 pm - Blairsville, GA
Thank You and Congratulations to you on your success
JJ_
on 4/28/12 8:31 pm
No, I use food.  I will occasionally use a protein shake to replace breakfast if I am in a hurry.  My bariatric centre stresses eating real food to get our protein.  However, each surgeon, etc. provides different guidelines.

Judy
Debbie R.
on 4/29/12 2:44 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

I have a shake for my breakfast in the mornings as I am not a big breakfast eater early before work.
I did try the Quest bars for a snack/meal & I was way too full & the fiber was very binding for me! I felt so uncomfortable because they gave me "gas". So I won't use them any more & yes they were good, but too much like candy. They also put me way over on my carb desire for the day!!! My surgeon said to use dense protein as many other posters have said.

Mary Catherine
on 4/29/12 2:51 am, edited 4/29/12 2:52 am
 I do not use shakes at present but have one or two Quest bars every day.  I only like the chocolate brownie one.  I like it better when microwaved for 10 seconds.  It is like a warm brownie and also reminds me of the taste and texture of Tootie Roll candy.  The lemon is excellent, but gives me gas.

I go by net carbs, so there is no problem for me with the Quest bars.  I need the extra fiber and Quest bars are great for that.  Quest bars are the greatest thing to hit the low carb lifestyle since Dr Atkins started the diet revolution back in the 1960's.

I am close to five years out, so one Quest bar is not too much for me.  Earlier out 1/4 of a bar would have been enough for one meal.
mtnwoman04
on 4/29/12 9:11 am - Blairsville, GA
Thanks to everyone for the replies I apperciate the information
Have a great week
Patsy
Most Active