I think I wrecked my pouch with Weigh****chers

Sparklegigi
on 4/30/12 12:57 pm - La Verne, CA
I joined WW about 8 weeks ago and have 26 points at my disposal, fruits and veggies are free.  Ever since then, I am eating a lot more than I would have otherwise.  I feel like I have superstretched my 2 year old rny pouch.  After two years, I can eat almost anything anyway, I have only dumped once or twice ever.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  I went to WW to try to get 10 off that I gained from bounceback weight after surgery.  I havent lost but 2 lbs so far.

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 1:23 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Yes, you have wrecked your pouch and it is irrevocable.  Derp derp derp.

It doesn't matter how many points you have at your disposal under Weigh****chers when you should be taking in nutrition under a plan geared toward bariatric surgery.  It's comparing apples to oranges and, under the bariatric surgery guidelines, fruits and veggies are not free.  While Weigh****chers and bariatric surgery may have some commonality, there are also major differences.

Sounds like you are eating in excess of your nutritional requirements.  Unless you want to up your physical activity to utilize the extra nutritional intake, you need to reduce the amount you are eating and conform to a plan that is compatible with bariatric surgery.
kathkeb
on 4/30/12 1:30 pm
I went back to WW right after my surgery but did not try to eat the amount they suggested.

I modified their program to comport with my doctors orders and used WW for accountability.

You should focus on a nutrition plan that matches your surgery and fit WW around that.

I always found WW to be too flexible for someone like me. I would eat 26 points of crap and some freebies instead of focusing on nutrition in the past. So I have to rely more on what my doc says.
Kath

PatXYZ
on 4/30/12 1:38 pm
WW is not intended for bariatric patients. Find a bariatric support group and follow a protein based diet if you need accountability. 10lbs bounceback is perfectly normal. Average weightloss at 5 years out after RNY is 65% of your excess weight.
Mary Catherine
on 4/30/12 2:30 pm
 You are simply at the point where bounceback normally starts.  Losing 2 pounds is actually fantastic at your current stage.  26 points did not stretch your pouch.  Your pouch as now reached its full grown size and can hold about a cup and a half of food.  Your intestines have learned how to absorb calories again and your body is fighting to regain what two years of semi-starvation have taken off of it.

There is no easy answer right now.  The best advice I could offer is to start daily weighing.  Even a week is too long to wait right now.  The honeymoon has endd and weight loss will be much harder now.  Even harder than before surgery.  Weigh****chers is an excellent plan.  It is easy to adjust it to include more protein and less carbs.  When I follow WW I try to stick to fruits like strawberries and apples.  The knowledge, support and accountability of Weigh****chers can be very helpful.  

Whether you follow Weigh****chers, another program, track online, or some other method, it is important to stay out of denial.  It is also important to get plenty of exercise.  This is a very important time for you.  Don't let the changes in your body work to accumulate more weight.  Stop the gain in its tracks, set reasonable goals and work to achieve them one at a time.  I personally recommend thedailyplate at Livestrong for setting goals and tracking intake.
Jackie McGee
on 4/30/12 4:03 pm - PA
Your pouch is fine, unless you're swallowing watermelons whole.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

MsBatt
on 5/1/12 1:39 am
On April 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Pacific Time, Jackie McGee wrote:
Your pouch is fine, unless you're swallowing watermelons whole.
Did you HAVE to bring up watermelons? I'm seeing them in the grocery stores now, and I want some sooo bad---but they're like buying gold this time of year.

And even 8 years post-op, my stomach cannot hold as much watermelon as my mouth wants to eat...
Jackie McGee
on 5/2/12 12:07 am - PA
I haven't had watermelon in years! The last time I had it, there was an ant inside :(

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

MsBatt
on 5/2/12 12:35 am
On May 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM Pacific Time, Jackie McGee wrote:
I haven't had watermelon in years! The last time I had it, there was an ant inside :(
Hey---watermelon with protein! (*grin*)
Queen Koosa
on 4/30/12 7:45 pm
WW is not for us.  You need to go back to eating dense protein first, that's what will fill you up.
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Most Active