Did/does your surgeon tell you everything about WLS...

Patiurple
on 4/30/12 1:29 am - Wheatland, OK
Scary topic!I am asking due to the fact that so many surgeons only tell the rosy side of WLS.
When I started my journey I read everything about WLS. Death rates, the different kind of complications. And of course the wonderful things that have happened.
In reality, very few surgeons tell everything. It would kill the bottom line. My surgeon who I admire. never told me everything I found it out on my own and I was still willing to do this. I knew I could die on the table or months later. I knew complications existed. At the time I didnt care I wanted to be healthy and even if it meant dying on the table I would take that risk.
Now five years later, 14 surgeries later, blood transfusions, 5 rounds fighting MRSA, staph infections, hernias, and more I wish my surgeon would have said we need to bluntly honest we need to allow our patients to know this can happen. Instead I got smiles and that rosy glass picture. I look back at me from when I lost weight before surgery thinking IF ONLY I had the control I would never had surgery. My body wouldnt be looking like a puzzle board from surgeries I wouldnt be fighting MRSA over and over and maybe My hair would be long like it was...
Peeps dont think complications cant happen dont wear those rose colored glasses be informed and be in control

being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
paranoidmother21
on 4/30/12 2:57 am - Lake Zurich, IL
I'm sorry that all happened to you.

I was fortunate - my surgeon DID go through those possibilities with me, as did his PA (who manages most of the bariatric issues... my surgeon is head of minimally invasive surgery for a 4 hospital group, so he wears a lot of hats). I then researched intensively via medical journals I have access to for work as well as networking for people who have had a variety of WLS with varying results.

As a result, I went into this with my eyes open and recognize how fortunate I have been to have had no real complications. Of course, I now have a lot of life left in which to develop complications down the road, but at least it beats having only a short life left for me!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Patiurple
on 4/30/12 9:50 pm - Wheatland, OK
Do you think that his staff gave u and accurate picture of what all could happen?
I have heard from plenty of folks who went to seminars and the only complications talked about was regaining of weight, possible hernias...
SandieMc49
on 4/30/12 3:09 am
Mine certainly did.  In fact, the "packet of information" contained a 3-page "quiz" we all had to take that listed the potential complications.  We had to initial beside every one of them.  I can't imagine any responsible surgeon not doing that.

Hopefully your message will serve to remind people consider WLS or any other type of surgery to ask the right questions and make really informed decisions.
Patiurple
on 4/30/12 9:52 pm - Wheatland, OK
Sandy I am glad to hear that your surgeon did that!
My whole reason for doing these posts to get folks aware that complications happen and this surgery is totally elective and the buyer has to be aware..
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/30/12 4:20 am
Sometimes we hear only what we want to hear. Any surgery is a risk. Anytime you allow docs to put you to sleep - you are risking your life. Heck - crossing the street - you are risking your life.

I think my doc told me as much as he truly believed the risk of the surgery were. Listing all risk factors is not possible - IMO.  At what point  do you stop? There are people who get infection in hospital... some that get drug reaction, some that get heart issue... or Pulmonary issue, or blood cloths, or kidney issues, and so one and so on... I do not believe they can tell us ALL.... I do not think that is possible...

So sorry you deal with all of those issue... maybe some of them could be prevented.... maybe not..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Patiurple
on 4/30/12 10:01 pm - Wheatland, OK
Eric,  I beleive as do the few of us that have had muliple complications that surgeons  should list complications but since that will affect their bottom line its up to the individual to be more aware. I wanted to know all the facts all the different kinds of surgeries that were out there what the stats were. I wanted to know the true documented risks not the roase colored glass version. My eyes were wide open and I knew I could either die on the table, die from blood clot after surgery. I knew the risks of infection but I also had trust in the hospital to keep me safe and I trusted my surgeron.
This sirgery as I mentioned is totally eloective as a consumer we should do our own research and know the risks.
You mention going out the door and dying..I actually read a statisics about different deaths verses surgical deaths. Highest death is falling in the bathroom...
Still surgeons should have a list of what could happen....
I met a lady at a support group who didnt know nothing about the surgery she was going to have. except she would lose weight. Did not know about losing hair 3 months after surgery, nor that her hormones would change, her knowledge was null. She started asking questions and after she got answers from 2 of us she was scared to have surgery. Was it what we said or was it her lack of knowledge/ All I know is she decided not to have surgery and went with WW...
MyLady Heidi
on 4/30/12 4:35 am
You got the short end of the straw, unfortunately someone always has to get it when it comes to statistics, unless they come out with something that is 100% safe.  Which we both know nothing ever is.  That said I knew my surgeons stats, I knew the over all stats and I knew the stats of staying diabetic and what my chances of survival would be.  I jumped on the table, it was my only option.

Sorry it was you.
Patiurple
on 4/30/12 10:07 pm - Wheatland, OK
Dearheart I did not write this for anyone to be sorry for me..BUT thank you!  When I had the blood loss and the nurse didnt beleive me I just smiled and said ok I can handle this...when the headaches got to where I couldnt handle it I smiled and said it aint nothing but my body not handling surgery. After 12 hours I knew I was dying and praised God my surgeon came in yelling at the nurse! it hurt but it was music to my ears. Then three days later when MRSA showed up I made a comment about how pretty the black and gray bruise was how it looked like a perfect circle. Each complication I had I never got mad never cried why me NEVER got mad I knew the odds and I also knew I would survive. Even when I got MRSA in my private area and was told surgery after trying for 6 months of going to a wound clinic. I laughed and made comments about only I could get MRSA in the one spot I never had surgery at..until then.
Each complication only made me stronger. I dont think i got the short end of the stick. Without all that has happened to me I wouldnt be here wouldnt be compassionate to others.
Isabelsjewelry
on 4/30/12 4:55 am
 I unfortunately fell inbetween the cracks. I started out with one doctor (Dr. Champion, Marietta, GA) and due to his problems with neuropathy, ended up with Dr. Michael Williams, Aplharetta, GA. I never once met with a doctor till my insurance went through and I met with him right before my surgery. My process started Febuary of 2011 and didnt meet with a doctor at all till March 2nd 2012. No one made me or told me to do support meetings. No one gave me information on support groups. I didnt find out about this site until after my surgery and I was reading through my packet. I pretty much had decided that I wanted to a different life to live and dove in. If I have complications, I will have to deal with them as they come. No one has held my hand during this experience. Also, I had one post-op appointment and he didnt wanna see me for another 6 months. So I am hoping tha tmeans everything is going great for me. I had blood work done in the hospital, but no more blood will be drawn till i see my endochronolgist in June. Then I will have labs drawn for Dr. Williams in Sept.. IDK if it was my insurance (which btw I didnt have to drop one cent out of pocket), but I didnt have to do nearly what I see most of you doing. If I need support, I'm sur emy doctor is there for me, he has a pretty good reputation and if he wants to keep it that way he at least better be there for me! LOL! I guess I literally put my life in his hands and gave him my full trust! I didnt like being handed off in the way that I was, but I had no choice. It was either do that or start all over again. IDK I guess in hind sight i should have used better judgement, but all my questions were answered, I felt confident with the procedure and process and went on blind faith. It pulled me through.

RNY(3/8/2012)    
Most Active