At a standstill

tamsb
on 5/11/12 12:39 am - Media, PA
RNY on 03/20/12
Hi all,
I haven't been on the site for awhile but know I can turn to everyone here with my questions.  I am 8 weeks post op and doing great.  My question is I am at a standstill with weight loss for about 2 1/2 weeks with the exception of a pound or two.  Is this normal?  I have lost 46 lbs. since two weeks prior to surgery when I started my protein shakes only.  I just need a little reassurance and maybe some suggestions.
Thanks!!
Terry

ALESIA1966
on 5/11/12 1:30 am - New Bern, NC
Mental Deep Breath,

Yes, this is VERY normal...Your body is also taking a deep breath from the all the changes you have suddenly put it thru, it simply does not know what is happening and is doing its best to conserve so it can survive...Keep following your food & exercise guidelines and you'll be off and losing again real soon...

Congrats, you are doing great

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

Mike R.
on 5/11/12 1:38 am - Warner Robins, GA
Excellent progress!  Plateaus are NORMAL.  Your metabolism has slowed because your body has finally realized that it isn't going to get the number of calories that it was used to.  This happens usually around the 3 month mark.  Physical activity is the key to minimize the plateau.  Exercise (sweat) 30 min per day will help ramp your metabolism back up.  Plateaus will happen.  Your body is going through a lot of change and it is trying to achieve balance.  The closer you get to goal, the less change is happening to your body and the less that it has to adapt.  So, the weight loss rate will slow exponentially the closer to goal you get.

Keep working the program - focus on solid protein, low-fat, low-carb food; no liquids w/meals or 30 min after; eat slow (30 min to eat meal) & chew to mush; no grazing (3 meals plus 1 snack per day).

Good luck!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

BrandNewKimmie
on 5/11/12 4:32 am
RNY on 02/21/12
As everyone else has said, it is very normal. I'm almost 12 weeks out, after the 3rd week, I stayed the same weight for about 2 weeks or so, then  it began to fall off again. Then at about week 6, I stalled for about 2 weeks and now it's falling off again quickly. Hope this helps! :)

nicoleista
on 5/11/12 12:34 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I lost 33 pounds in 5 weeks and then I didn't lose a pound for 4 weeks! i was very concerned because four weeks seems like a loooong time. However, in the past 10 days I lost 8 pounds, most of it with in three days. One thing I realized was that I was really constipated! Once I started taking something to help with that, the weight started to come off. I don't know if that is normal or not but it seemed to kick start things again (however after four weeks it just might been a coincidence). I read once the average loss at 2-4 months is 10 pounds, more or less. For me, the "average" weight loss would be 80 pounds so I am half the way there (but i do think that I want to lose more then that) so it sounds like you are doing very well! Try having a good "bathroom movement" and let me know if works! LOL

tamsb
on 5/12/12 2:31 am - Media, PA
RNY on 03/20/12
 Thanks everyone. That really helped!

Most Active