How many cals, at 7 yrs out, to lose?

Cynthia Snyder
on 5/11/12 10:52 am - Butler, IN
I am going on 7 yrs post op and find that I have to eat under 1,000 cals a day to be able to even lose a little and I mean A LITTLE a week. I was hoping others could share how many calories, at this far out, you eat a day to be able to lose? Thanks!
poet_kelly
on 5/11/12 11:49 am - OH
I'm just 3.5 years out, but I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day.  I have been very slowly losing for about the past fives months.  I had regained a little while taking an antidepressant that is known for causing weight gain, and since I stopped taking that, I've lost about ten pounds.  So that would work out to about two pounds lost a month.

Do you get much physical activity?  having to eat less than 1000 calories a day to lose even a little sounds like, I don't know, like you should be able to eat a bit more, I guess.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JustLookingToo
on 5/12/12 9:40 am - AL
Kelly, 

Just stumbled across your post browsing a minuted ago, but I wanted to ask you if you've ever tried Wellbutrin? Not sure if you still need an antidepressant and just got off of the one you were taking because of weight gain? I'm only asking because the nutritionist at my gastro docs office runs a weight loss clinic in his office, and she says that she prescribes Wellbutrin for weight loss (even in people who do not have depression) because it works better than other weight loss drugs. I've been tempted to try it. Seems like it would be a good one to try for WLS patients who do need something for depression, because it also helps with appetite control (so she says). The thing is, most forms of Welbutrin are time released, but she says they do have a regular form of Wellbutrin that is not time-released that she prescribes for WLS patients. 

poet_kelly
on 5/12/12 10:04 am - OH
Yeah, I tried it.  I think it was the one that dropped my blood pressure really low.  It's hard to remember.  I've been on more than 30 different drugs for depression, in various doses and combinations, over the past 20 years.

I'm on Effexor right now.  That is the one that has worked the best for me for depression.  At one point I was on a really large dose and it caused dangerously high blood pressure, but I'm on a lower dose now and my BP is fine.  It helps with the depression, but not as much as I would like.  Last summer my doc wanted to try adding Nortryptaline and Abilify to it and I had so many side effects.  I couldn't poop, I gained 23 pounds, I had a period that lasted more than a month, and my mouth was so dry and irritated I got sores on my tongue.  I had to stop taking them.

Do you have depression?  I would be hesitant to take Wellbutrin or any other psychotropic drug just to decrease the appetite because they can have so many unpleasant and even dangerous side effects.  But if you need an antidepressant, then yeah, one that typically causes decreased appetite would be a good one to try.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JustLookingToo
on 5/12/12 12:55 pm - AL
Wow. Sounds like such a struggle getting on the right medication. I suppose they are like all medications, and probably either quit working after a while, or build up on the system and cause problems. Sorry you have to go through all of that.

Do I suffer from depression? Well, I suppose I have from time to time. Tends to run in cycles with me, and I have a "spell" every ten years or so that lasts six months to a year. I am SO sensitive to medications that I'm very reluctant to try most. I do recognize when I'm on a downward spiral, and usually am able to pull myself out with good nutrition, fasting, and exercise. While depression runs in my family, and many of my close relatives are affected by it, I'm not all that badly affected (in my mind, anyway). Oh, and I'm in no way suggesting that a person who suffers from true, deep depression could cure themselves with fasting, nutrition, and exercise. Just saying that it works for me. I did find Prozac helpful at one point in my life, but other that that, have not tried any of the other medications.

I had no idea that antidepressive medications affected the blood pressure. That's really interesting. I'm going to read more about that (because I'm the nerdy bookworm type). Hope you find the right drug combination one day. You look great in your avitar!! I know that looks don't tell the whole story when it comes to depression, though. Feel better soon!

poet_kelly
on 5/12/12 1:03 pm - OH
Oh, I think nutrition and exercise can help many people with depression.  And I think it has helped me at times.  My depression improved quite a bit for the first couple years after my RNY and I think the improvements in my diet and vitamin levels had a lot to do with it.

I think I am pretty sensitive to medications, too.  I am allergic to a couple of antibiotics and I've had problems with side effects from many antidepressants.

I've had a horrible time getting the right meds for depression.  Prozac didn't do much for the depression, but it did decrease my appetite a lot.

nicoleista
on 5/13/12 1:45 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I realize this is not exactly on topic however I hadn't considered that my antidepressant, Zoloft, COULD be contributing to my slow weight loss this past month. I would be scared to switch antidepressants, I have panic attacks/anxiety, so I'd be really up **** creek if it didn't help, However, maybe I should talk to a doctor about supplementing with Wellbutrin? I know that there is research showing that Wellbutrin and Naltrexone supress apetite in a way that is totally different then other weight loss meds. Hmm, I'm going to think on this further.

Mary Catherine
on 5/11/12 12:24 pm, edited 5/11/12 12:24 pm
 It took me 2 months at 800 per day to drop 10 Pounds with 2 hours exercise daily
Cynthia Snyder
on 5/13/12 11:53 pm - Butler, IN
This sounds a lot like me! The longer I "behave" and eat properly the less amount of calories I am able to consume to stilll lose! I must admit, RNY can sure "spoil" you when there were weeks that I lost 10 pounds! Now it is a blessing to lose 1/2 pound and  not eat much yet excercise 5 days a week and lift weights!
Thanks for your input!
Leslie M.
on 5/12/12 12:59 am - AL
I am just a little over 4 years out.  I feel like I eat way to much some days but I also have an extremely physical and active job.....I prob take in 2500-3000 cal a day!
So far I have been lucky and my weight stays between 136-141 on average.
I know that once I slow down or retire, I will have to cut a lot more calories!

Leslie
Most Active