BAD RNY Doctor

jyjackson8246
on 5/26/12 6:19 am, edited 5/26/12 6:21 am - Detroit, MI
Hello All
 I am approved by my insurance company to get the RNY surgery.

I live about 3 hours away from the RNY Doctor's office. I started working to get the RNY, Feb. of last year. Because of the distance I have worked with my insurance company and my primary doctor to get all of my test  done locally.  

When I call the RNY doctor's  office, I can not get anyone on the phone.  I call 5 or 6 times a day to get confirmation that the medical records were recieved from my primary doctor.   I called 5 or 6 times to get  a EGD done ( that took about 3 weeks just to get someone to call me back).  I am frustrated and my primary doctor is frustrated (Primary doctor will not bad mouth another doctor).

I called a week ago (acting like I was a new patient) and  found out that my EGD was fine and my records was in scheduling( 4 phone calls).  Now,  I am waiting for them to give me a date.   I am still waiting for someone to call me.  I have called all day Friday (5-7 phone calls)  without speaking to anyone.  

I am wondering would anyone  change doctors at this point?

poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 6:32 am - OH
I would speak directly with the surgeon about the problem first, as he may be unaware that his staff is not returning calls.  But if you can't resolve the situation by talking to him, then yes, I would change surgeons.  If they are not interested in returning your calls now, when they should want your business, they will likely be even less interested in returning your calls after you've had surgery and they already have your money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Davo
on 5/26/12 6:52 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I had issues with the first surgical team I went to so I left them and it was a great decision for me.  If you are not comfortable it may delay things  a bit but your going to be working with the team if the surgeon has one (dieticians, nurses, etc) for a long time as a resource.  Ensure your concerns are justified and then do what makes you feel the most secure.
Nic M
on 5/26/12 1:29 pm
Davo,  You opted not to go with kemmerling?
I was actually quite concerned about it. I hope things are going well for you and you're feeling well.

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MSHAMO
on 5/26/12 7:38 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I would definitely seriously consider it...go with your gut feeling. (no pun intended)
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/12 7:43 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
This is EXACTLY why I ultimately decided to switch from Dr. Mercedeh Baghai to Dr. Ara Keshishian for my revision.

As previously mentioned, if this is how they treat you pre-op (and prior to getting your money), it's not a good sign for how they will treat you post-op (and already have the money).  Especially during that period when the services are considered global (usually 30 - 90 days following surgery).
Nic M
on 5/27/12 2:36 am
Dr. Keshishian is wonderful!  I had a question for him regarding revision surgery and sent him a message here on OH. He called me and took the time to address my concerns. He really goes above and beyond the call of duty. He's one in a million.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 5:37 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
True.  That's why, if the insurance doesn't approve the revision portion, I will pay for it out of pocket.  Although my insurance bariatrics coordinator thinks that, if the paperwork is submitted properly, they will pay for it on the basis of the slip.
MSHAMO
on 5/26/12 7:51 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Hi James, just saw that you are in Detroit, my surgeon is the BEST!!! Click on Dr Pleatman's name, should give you all his info!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
jyjackson8246
on 5/26/12 8:58 am - Detroit, MI
Thank You.  I will check him out. 

I am presently at Harper BMI.  I planned to have my surgery  in January of this year, and my wife in June or July.   I picked Harper because my mother had her surgery there about 10 years ago.  She was 325 before surgery, went down to 150, and now she is about 180 at 64 years old.

My wife will be having her surgery at Beaumont hospital, because our doctor recommendations and the difficulty of dealing with Harper Hospital.  

Harper and Beaumont Hospital are the only two hospitals that are Level 1a Accredited Bariatric Centers, (Like I know what that means -  Think it is important just do not know why).

I am just frustrated with the customer services that Harper BMI has shown me and my personal doctor.

My wife was told by our  family doctor (she had RNY at Beaumont) that I should have had my surgery months ago.    My wife started Feb of this year and she may have her surgery in July -September of this year.

Most Active