Question about nutrition after surgery

Caroline K.
on 5/30/12 6:38 am - MS
I had the gastric sleeve last wed and my post op diet until I see the doctor again on the 6th is just clear liquids.  What I am trying to figure out is where my nutrition comes in because there is no nutritional value in anything on my list.
poet_kelly
on 5/30/12 6:43 am - OH
You should probably be drinking clear protein drinks for protein and should be taking multivitamins for your vitamins and minerals.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery specifically recommends starting your multis as soon as you get home from the hospital, but I don't think they say anything about when to start protein.

However, I recommend calling your surgeon's office with these questions.  I would not recommend starting protein drinks or vitamins without checking with your doc first, just to make sure there is no medical reason why it would be harmful to do so in your case.  Even though it's recommended for most people, your situation may be different for some reason.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Caroline K.
on 5/30/12 6:47 am - MS
I was told by my surgeons office that I am not to start vitamins until I see him again on the 6th.  Maybe I should make some vegetable soup and strain it.
Mom78
on 5/30/12 2:46 pm
VSG on 02/10/12
I made sugar free jello with the isopure.  Wasn't too bad.  Isopure has a clear liquid protein, a little sweet, but it worked.

SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

nursygirl
on 6/1/12 8:31 am - San Jose,, CA
echo the poster about calling the doc with your questions.  Until Wednesday, just follow his directions to ensure the most optimal healing and the least amount of complications (if any)

Congrats and welcome to the Loser's Bench!!

Anjanette

"Never let the fear of striking out get in the way of trying" George Herman "Babe" Ruth

No excuses....just do it!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 9:06 am - brak, Poland
 youre right
vnjones
on 5/30/12 9:13 am
How about Isopure? It is a clear liquid protein drink. Depending on the flavor it is not too bad.

MsBatt
on 5/30/12 9:27 am
Right now you're relying on your stored nutrients. Your body can live without food for a LONG time, as long as you stay hydrated. (*grin*)

hollykim
on 6/1/12 6:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
your nutrition is coming from your stored fat. Your body will burn the stored fat for energy and that is how you lose weight.
GL

Most Active