Liver Disease

threepugs
on 6/1/12 3:36 pm - CA
My doctor says that my liver disease is coming from my weight.  I hear that this is common.  I am wondering if any of you have had  a liver disease diagnosis and if it improved or worsened  after surgery. 

Thanks for any info.

My Dr. apt was postponed by their office and now I am rethinking everything!! 
Hannahmumma03
on 6/1/12 9:14 pm - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
is it fatty liver disease?

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/12 10:35 pm
 if U propose to Ur doc that U go on a diet fo r a few months and EAT NO FAT .. Ur fatty  liver disease will be GONE .  provided that all it is .

Yes , you CAN do it  and then U will get the WLS  U need safely .  
Valerie G.
on 6/1/12 11:14 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Fatty liver is common among the obese, and yes, it definitely changes as you shed fat.

Scirrosis is a different story

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/1/12 11:16 pm - Burleson, TX

The liver tends to be one of the organs hardest hit by obesity..BUT..of, course, skinny peeps can get liver disease also (cirrhosis is caused by many factors, and "fatty" liver not always REALLY caused by "fat")..

THAT being said..by PERSONAL experience, I can tell you MY liver function tests have improved DRAMATICALLY, with significant weight loss, after WLS, and have remained in "normal range", for most of the past 10 yrs..

ANY weight loss..and dietary improvements (if you are eating extremely high fats, etc now) would more than likely be a help to your liver.

It's ABSOLUTELY ok to "rethink" everything-as many times as necessary-this is your LIFE and your HEALTH at stake here!!!

Just let us know how we can help...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Nixie76
on 6/4/12 8:34 am
RNY on 04/10/12
My liver functions were in the toilet, really bad. During the surgery the doc took a biopsy which shows I have N.A.S.H which is Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. Basically i ate myself into almost liver failure because of all the fat in my liver. My test results showed I was at a stage 2 out of 4 (I assume 4 being cirrohsis?) I don't drink either, and I've never been a big drinker so it's not an alcohol issue. I have not yet completed my follow up bloodwork. I'm about 7 weeks post-op so when I finally get my results I'll let you know if I'm any better!!
-"Make the decision, then do something - no matter how small - toward accomplishing what you want"-
-"What would you attempt, if you knew you could not fail?"-

Most Active