Off topic?

starry957
on 6/5/12 1:54 pm
I don't even have my referral (yet), but I've been thinking about, researching, talking to those with "experience"  regarding weight loss surgery for about two years  - is it normal to work at wrapping your head around thoughts that the surgery is kind of like a "final straw"/"consequence" for what we've "done to ourselves"?  I know this puts a negative slant on things and I see that so many people are so happy with their decisions and experiencing alot of success and positive outcomes.....and maybe the negatives slip away once you actually feel better, lose weight and move forward...I dunno......is it bad to have these type of thoughts (I also have positive ones too..lol).....feedback would be great!  thx

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

JJ_
on 6/5/12 5:49 pm
This is not off topic.  The topic of coming to a decision of having WLS is quite personal.  If you decide to have surgery, you need to live with the consequences of that decision.

I was originally referred to my bariatric centre by my PCP in 2006.  The internist that saw me there recommended that I have surgery.  I wasn`t ready.  It wasn`t until January 2010 that another doctor asked me to think about having surgery.  She had seen some of her patients have great success with their co-morbidities and no longer needing certain medications.  When I saw her next in September 2010, I had reflected on her recommendation during the intervening period.  My health was not getting better.  I wanted to be alive to collect the work pension that I paid into all these years!  

I had surgery in December 2011.  I have lost 91.5 lbs.  I am no longer on any meds for diabetes and high blood pressure.  I have better mobility and do not tire as easily.  My lower back does not get sore to the point of having to sit down (not able to walk far).  These health benefits were the best indicators that I had put myself first in looking after the issue of morbid obesity.

Good luck in your decision.

Judy
poet_kelly
on 6/5/12 6:57 pm - OH
I think WLS is the last resort for most people that go through it.  I mean, who says "Hey, I've gained a couple pounds, l'm calling the surgeon?"  People decide to have surgery when diets have failed.

However, I don't think of it as a consequence for something I've done to myself.  Of course my eating habits contributed to my weight gain.  There were many factors involved.  But it's not "something I did to myself" anymore than the back pain I've been having is something I did to myself.  Yesterday I had a nerve block procedure for my back, and I didn't consider it a consequence for something I'd done to myself.  I had a medical problem and chose a medical treatment for it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

starry957
on 6/5/12 10:21 pm
thanks for your replies....I know it is totally personal....and I'm an over-analyzer on the best of days..lol
sometimes I think of it like this (and please let me know if this is way off track):
I'm (obviously) angry/depressed/lonely, etc....lots of the time now - which leads me to eat way over what would be "normal" and beyond hunger - and I'm obese\
After surgery - NOT being able to eat like this would probably make me feel angry/uptight/irritable, etc...lots of the time - but I would no longer be obese, thus healthier

so....negative emotions while unhealthy,eating crappy and obese OR negative emotions while healthier, eating well and not obese
I feel like this is what it boils down to...
MyLady Heidi
on 6/6/12 12:10 am
You missed one part, losing weight makes you happy, its uplifting, its the diet that actually works and you watch yourself shrink and food become so much less your friend and more the mortal enemy that ****** up your life.  You have to re-learn your relationship with food, it is not the reward system anymore, new shoes are, or whatever you like.  I was MO for twenty years, not in my brain of course, my brain saw me as normal.  I wanted to wear fashionable clothes and high heels and feel feminine and pretty and all I felt was fat and miserable.  Now 7 years later my outside matches my inside.  Ask me how many pairs of sneakers I own, the answer would be NONE.  I wanted to dress cute and wear cute things and this I made happen.  I was diabetic, on a course with distruction, I walked out of the hospital off my diabetes meds and I am half the person I used to be.  The funny part about it is everyone who knew me MO for so many years have no idea who I am now, the people I grew up with recognize me because they never saw me overweight.  For me it was a dream come true and I diet every single day to keep this dream alive.  Easy it isn't.
starry957
on 6/6/12 1:43 am
great thoughts!  if you were to summarize what has been hard - what would you say?  just curious....like I said - I'm at the beginning here...
Princess Brandy
on 6/6/12 6:13 am, edited 6/6/12 6:13 am - PA
 Honestly the hardest part for me was worrying about insurance an if I could afford this. Once my mind was in it to win it there was no stopping me. I could have had surgery the next day. I was tired of being tired. I was tired of not finding cute bras. I was tired of shopping at stores that catered to larger women. I was tired of not being able to feel confident in shorts or cute dresses. 

My husband had surgery first and has lost 130 pounds, trust me he gets all the compliments ( well deserved!) but I want a little of the love too, not just a second glance. 

We had some very frank discussions, after he went thru surgery. And honestly I've handled the pain, and there is pain, better then he did.

But I think you need to really reflect as to why you want to take this huge step, and be in it mind, body and soul!
Most Active