It's the NEWBIE again

ImDun
on 6/14/12 3:14 am
RNY on 02/26/13
Can someone please explain the different surgeries available?

My sister and someone else I know both had lap bands.  My sister was not successful with hers and both say if they had to do over they would have had the gastric bypass done.

Besides losing weight and having a healthy lifestyle, my most immediate goals would be to help my (uncontrolled) type2 diabetes and high triglycerides.cholesterol and heart disease issues and get off my Cpap machine.  I'm thinking the gastric bypass would be best from recent articles I've read.  However, it seems like there are different gastric bypass surgeries done.

Any info would be appreciated !!

Thanks so much!!

Deb
Stephanie M.
on 6/14/12 3:40 am
 http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/types-of-bariatric-surgery.html#Overview

Bette posted this on the LB forum, there are lots of links with great information.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

poet_kelly
on 6/14/12 5:34 am - OH
There are four types of WLS.

Adjustable gastric banding, or the lap band, is where they put a band around the stomach to restrict how much you can eat.  They inject saline into the band to make it tighter.  Without the saline filling the band, it won't really provide restriction.  Sometimes it's hard to get the right amount of restriction.  If it's too loose, it doesn't make you feel full on smaller portions of food.  If it's too tight, food gets stuck and you might throw up a lot.  It has lots of potential complications and most people end up needing another surgery to remove or replace it in less than eight years.

RNY, or gastric bypass, is when the staple your stomach to make it smaller, and then they bypass part of your small intestine so that you don't absorb all the calories you eat for a while.  You'll always get full on smaller portions with RNY, but after a couple years, you will be absorbing all the calories you eat again.

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy, or VSG or just the sleeve, is where they remove about 85% of your stomach, leaving you with a smaller stomach that's shaped like a sleeve.  It keeps you from eating as much food so you lose weight.  Some insurance companies don't cover it because they say there isn't enough long term data that shows it works long term yet, but so far it seems like people with VSG lose about as much weight as those with RNY.

Duodenal switch, or DS, is where they do a sleeve for your stomach but they also rearrange your intestine so you don't absorb all the calories you eat.  Unlike with RNY, with DS the malabsorption is forever.  Not all surgeons perform the DS, though.

With diabetes, probably either RNY or DS would be best for you.  I think Ds has a slightly higher success rate at resolving diabetes, or making it get better, but it gets better most of the time with RNY, too.

How much weight do you need to lose?  If your BMI is really high, DS might be better for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ImDun
on 6/14/12 5:57 am
RNY on 02/26/13
I'm not sure of my BMI but I am 5'2" and 218 lbs.  I have heavy heart discease/diabetes in my family.
MsBatt
on 6/14/12 7:13 am
That gives you a BMI of 39.8. Have you contacted your sinruance company yet? I know this sounds wrong-headed, but you *might* want to gain a few pounds before your initial weigh-in---just enough to give you a BMI of 40.0.

At the top of the page it says "Tools". Under than menu you can find a BMI calculator.
MsBatt
on 6/14/12 5:45 am
83% of diabetics who choose the RNY/gastric bypass achieve total remission of symptoms, at least for a while. With the DS, the number goes up to 98%, and we're seeing VERY FEW people having it come back later.

High cholesterol? The DS hands down. Why? Because it causes you to only absorb 20% of the fat/cholesterol you eat.

The DS is NOT a form of 'gastric bypass'---the stomach is not bypassed, but is reduced greatly in size. The excess stomach tissue is completely removed from the body, never to trouble you again. This means removing most of the tissue that makes the 'hunger hormone', ghrelin.Really helps with hunger, too. Unlike with the RNY, the pylorus is retained, and so is all normal stomach function.

There's really only one WLS called a 'gastric bypass', and that's the RNY.  The Sleeve is the same stomach as the DS, without the intestinal bypass that so successfully treats diabetes and high cholesterol, and gives the DS the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.
Most Active