IM NEW wanting RNY

johnsjamiejo5293
on 6/14/12 3:12 am
 HEY EVERYBODY.......this is my very first post....im very fresh in the process......im hoping to have the RNY around the first of the year.......working on those first appointments......guess  im needing to hear about the protein n vitamin details n such .....im thinking i can get these things at GNC.................Jamie
poet_kelly
on 6/14/12 5:27 am - OH
Hi Jamie!  You might wanna check out the RNY board here on OH to meet a bunch of people having the same surgery.

You can get a lot of protein and vitamins at GNC but maybe not everything you need.  depends on what you want.

The ASMBS says we need two multis a day, adult multis with 100% of the RDA of most things.  That would be something like Centrum.  If you want a chewable, you can find chewable Centrum at most drugstores and it would probably be cheaper than something you'd find at GNC.  But GNC probably has multis that would work too.

You need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  I"m not sure if GNC has chewable calcium citrate or not.  You want to make sure it's not calcium carbonate or tricalcium phosphate.  You may need to order online if you want chewable.  You can get pills you swallow anywhere that has vitamins, though.  Some place like Walmart should be a lot cheaper than GNC.  There is also a powdered calcium citrate I like called Upcal D.  You have to order it online.

You need a sublingual B12, or you can use a prescription nasal spray or do B12 shots.  You'd get the nasal spray or shots at any pharmacy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

johnsjamiejo5293
on 6/14/12 11:47 pm
 oh COOL ...cheaper is always nice......thank you so much for the info........VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
MsBatt
on 6/14/12 5:36 am
Please research ALL your WLS options, not just the RNY. The Sleeve and the DS have a lot of things to offer that the RNY doesn't.
larra
on 6/15/12 5:21 am - bay area, CA
Good for you for making the big decision to lose weight and improve your health and quality of life!

You have lots of time to research ALL the available wls options, not just what your local surgeon does. I would esp recommend you check out the DS, as it would give you the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss, for maintainence of that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities of any wls presently available. You can learn more about it at dsfacts.com

Larra
Most Active