How low is to low for thyroid and other lab results?

demurebutterfly
on 6/15/12 11:14 am - Lima, OH
I have been feeling tired, sleepy all the time,  my hair and nails are breaking at the slightest touch.  I am cold alot. I have no energy, I have times that i can not think straight,  I used to have strong muscles in my arms and legs, now I cant even lift my daughter up 2 feet off the floor.  every single joint in my body hurts all the time, esp my fingers and toes.  the biggest thing is that I am gaining weight no matter what I do.  I am getting my water, vitamins, and excersise when I have energy.  I talked to the family doctor about thyroid and he ordered labs.  it has been almost 4 months and he has not gone over them with me.  I can not afford to pay him $84.00 to just see him about the results.  My husband and kids have been sick and we have been in his office about 20 times in the past 3 months,  I have asked several times for him to just let me know if all is ok,  He wouldnt even give me a copy.  I work at the hospital that the labs were taken and I got them myself, I just do not know what they mean.  I have been complaining about these symptoms for the past year, they are getting worse and they have done thyroid levels 2 times before and I think they are falling each time.

Can anyone tell me what these results might be and should I be worried.  I hate feeling this way,  I am thinking about calling my surgeon and seeing what he thinks,  He know that I have NO insurance and live 2 hours away from him.

They ran Hemotology, Gen Chemistry, and Enocrine studies, everything was mostly in the middle of the normal ranges except for the following:

Alkaline Phosphatase       my level was 153          should be 38 - 126
T3                                          my levell was 2.63        should be 2.2 - 4.0
TSH Third Generation       my level was 1.68         should be .4 - 4.2
Hemoglobin                        my level was 11.0         should be 12.0 - 16.0
Hematocrit                           my level was 34.0         should be  37.0 - 47.0
MCV                                      my level was 73.2          should be 81.0 - 99.0
MCH                                     my level was 23.7          should be 27.0 - 31.0
MCHC                                  my level was 32.4          should be 33.0 - 37.0
RDW                                    my level was 15.5          should be 11.5 - 14.5
RBC morphology was abnormal
Microcytosis       +2
Anisocytosis      +1
polikilocytosis    slight
hypochromia     +2

I know it has been a while since I have been on here, last time there were several with good info on lab results. 

fawnracene
on 6/15/12 12:26 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 I have a thyroid condition and all I have to say is I am medicated and I wish MY levels looked like that. 
poet_kelly
on 6/15/12 1:16 pm - OH
Your hematocrit and hemoglobin are both low.  I'm guessing your iron is low, too.  Did he check your iron and ferritin?  Did you check any other vitamins and minerals, like B12 and vitamin D?

I would start taking more iron but also get a full set of labs done, if he didn'tt order a whole set.  Actually, if these were done four months ago, I'd get them repeated.  Your iron has probably dropped a lot more since these were done.

How much iron have you been taking, and what kind?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

demurebutterfly
on 6/15/12 1:32 pm - Lima, OH
It was the family doctor and he said that he ordered a CBC, Endocrine and complete metabolic profile. I am getting very fustrated with my family doctor not listening to me.  A nurse at work looked at the results and said that my iron level was good.  I am not sure about the other 3.  I take a pre- natal with iron, extra vit d and extra cal. I still take sublingual B12.  I had my surg in Nov 2009. 

I talked to my  husband and I will call my surgeon to have him order a complete lab, it is about time.  I am just worried.  My mom had to have her thyroid nuked and then taken out.  I just want to feel better.

Beverly

Most Active