Diabetic- what did you choose? RNY or sleeve?

ImDun
on 6/16/12 9:42 pm
RNY on 02/26/13
Hi all,

Still new and looking forwrad to the information seminar on 8/17.

I'd like to be armed with a lot of understanding of the process from all of you and have questions for the doctor.

I am diabetic and my biggest motivation for this surgery would be to reduce my diabetic status and get off meds and my C-pap machine.

I am currently 218 and 5'2" and taking metformin, victoza, crestor, lisinopril and actos. 

I'm curious to what kind of surgery diabetics have had?  My sister had a lab band which she did not have any success with.  However, I have read a few reports that the actual bypass surgery has the most success in treating diabets.

If I understand correctly, it seems the RNY will eventually lead to some enlargement and more realistic eating and absorption of nutrients.  Whereas the sleeve never allows absorption? 

Grateful for any responses!

Happy Father's Day!

Deb
enibas2
on 6/16/12 10:29 pm - Canada
I choose the by pass and my diabetes is gone, i m still take metformin but no insuline no more i am still on lipitor. But everything is great and my surgery was on Feb 27 th not even 4 months ago... hope it help

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/12 11:00 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
You should contact Dr K, he is incredibly knowledgeable about WLS and diabetes. He is not my surgeon, but he took the time to get to know me and answer all my questions, even though he already knew I was not looking to have surgery, in fact I had already had WLS.

www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-ara-keshis hian/

Mary Catherine
on 6/16/12 11:11 pm
The RNY and DS involve a diversion of the duodenum.  That change to the intestines with RNY 85% of the time puts diabetes into complete remission.   There is also an even greater chance of putting diabetes into remission with the DS procedure 95%. 

It is not really understood why this happens.  Most people who have RNY or DS leave the hospital with no more diabetes medicines and never have to take them again.  Their A1C tests go to the normal range.

There is no diversion of the duodenum with the lapband or sleeve.  

The sleeve never gives any malabsorption.  RNY gives a lot of malabsorption for about 18 months. 
clpeltz
on 6/17/12 12:00 am
Neither.  The DS has the very BEST long-term stats in resolution of diabetes.  For many RNY patients, diabetes resolution is temporary.  I would go for what has the best chance of being permanent resolution of diabetes, the DS.  Of course, there is no garantee with any WLS, but your best bet is the DS.  Visit dsfacts.com to get lots of great info about the DS.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Dave Chambers
on 6/17/12 12:15 am - Mira Loma, CA
Diabeties (type II) is usually put into remission with the RNY and it's wt loss.  Type I diabetics usually have their meds reduced with post op wt loss.  Sleeve patients are not as lucky.  But, the diabeties may not stay in remission forever. Significant wt regain, or heavy diabetic genetics may cause diabetes to return in coming years, or sooner with heavy genetic components.  Don't kid yourself that the sleeve is offers more benefits than sleeve.  I know at least 2 sleeve patients who only achieved about a 75 pound wt loss, could have lost a lot more wt, and struggle at 2-3 years post op to keep from regaining wt.  With any wt loss surgery, behavior modification is NEEDED. SURGERY ALONE will not resolve all of your wt issues.  Some countries are doing RNY to deal with diabeties.  DS surgeries may offer more wt loss, but the increased amounts of supplements needed daily, high potential for daily diarrhea, etc. are troublesome for many.  Failure to take these higher levels of supplements, have regular labs for monitoring levels can lead to a high potential for other life threating health issues.  Attend a few support groups before you make your final decision.  You'll hear "real life" experiences in person from post ops from these varying surgeries. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

USAF Wife
on 6/17/12 2:27 am
http://www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx?id=2106

Check out this information from Dr. Roslin on impact of retaining your pyloric valve and blood sugar issues post-op.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

beemerbeeper
on 6/17/12 2:52 am - AL
Neither. I didn't want a surgery with a chance of reactive hypoglycemia, bumping and regain. I did not believe I could eat the RYNY way the rest of my life (chewing food to death, not drinking with meals etc...). So I opted for the surgery with the best stats for a permanent cure for diabetes, the most liberal eating plan AND the best stats for long term success.

I saw too many folks revising a RNY to my surgery choice an iknew that I wanted to get it right the first time.

So I chose the DS and at 2years 9 months post op I am a size 4/6.

Bestdecision I ever made.

Becky

tgrlnh
on 6/17/12 3:45 am
RNY on 06/05/12
I had the RNY and left the hospital off all diebetic and blood pressure medications.
Jolly Rancher
on 6/17/12 4:06 am
Definitely DS for diabetes. Best remission rate, flat out.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Most Active